RODI Sediment Filter Turns Brown Quickly

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make about 25 gallons of RODI water each week for my water station for top off and water change. The sediment filter turns brown after a month of usage. TDS input is around 35. Why does the sediment filter turn dark brown so quickly? RODI is rated at 100 GPD. Should I be changing sediment filter more often than every 6 months?

Thank you!

6F71ECF2-80B2-4DCD-A694-8B1E361F28BB.jpeg

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming from your water main. Every time they open a fire hydrant were I live it disturbs the water main in the street and stirs up the sediments. My filter turns brown very fast after that.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming from your water main. Every time they open a fire hydrant were I live it disturbs the water main in the street and stirs up the sediments. My filter turns brown very fast after that.
Does that mean I should replace the sediment filter?

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change it. You will be amazed as to how dirty it is when you remove it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one of these WaterBoss softeners 15 years ago and I only have to change RODI filters every 18mos, a new membrane every 3 years and new DI resin every year.

I couldn't image not having a whole house water softener... super clean healthy water

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flush valve can help as well as a booster if pressure isn't where it should be.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem because my town's water is so full of sediment. I actually asked BRS support about this. They said I don't have to change out the sediment filter even if its brown as the carbon blocks will block more sediment as well. I just need to keep monitoring the TDS value after the carbon blocks and before the DI resin as well as the pressure---and then change filters out based on that. However, all that being said, I can't stand looking at the dirty sediment filter so I change it out every week. Those filters are cheap anyway and it gives me peace of mind.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem because my town's water is so full of sediment. I actually asked BRS support about this. They said I don't have to change out the sediment filter even if its brown as the carbon blocks will block more sediment as well. I just need to keep monitoring the TDS value after the carbon blocks and before the DI resin as well as the pressure---and then change filters out based on that. However, all that being said, I can't stand looking at the dirty sediment filter so I change it out every week. Those filters are cheap anyway and it gives me peace of mind.
Thank you for information! Will order some additional sediment filters!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, check dissolved iron in your water. Mine was so high it made my white clothes orange over time. Finally added the water softener to get rid of it. Mostly.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, check dissolved iron in your water. Mine was so high it made my white clothes orange over time. Finally added the water softener to get rid of it. Mostly.
How do I check for dissolved iron in my water supply?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make 60 gallons on average of rodi every month. If I kept up on it, which I don't, I should probably change my sediment filter every two months just to be safe.
Interesting, why do you say every 2 months-for a sediment filter chsnge?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, why do you say every 2 months-for a sediment filter chsnge?
Because more poor rural rear end has well water that is rusty as all get out. My water turns everything orange after awhile even our white clothes.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a depth sediment filter they can look dirty but still filter just fine. The best way to determine when to replace is by pressure drop.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back