RODI water

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and I'm thinking about getting an RO system for my tank, I've been using tap water with a conditioner(i know its a lot less than ideal) hence the reason I'm looking to buy an RO or RODI system. the quesion is, is an RO system good enough or better than tap with a conditioner? I'm in a little bit of a budget right now with this crisis so my plan was to get an RO system for now and later on add a DI chamber to it. would you recomend that or should i keep doing tap with a conditioner for my water changes until i have the money for the full RODI system?
Thank you

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that you should commit to a RODI system. Water quality and consistency IS our hobby! And the better we get at management of that water, the more success you'll have. The most consistent building block to that will be what you are using in your tank. I know that cost can be a factor, but several reefers in R2R have linked (I don't know them) some resources for 4-5 stage RODI systems that are not expensive.

OP
OP
palbert_95

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that you should commit to a RODI system. Water quality and consistency IS our hobby! And the better we get at management of that water, the more success you'll have. The most consistent building block to that will be what you are using in your tank. I know that cost can be a factor, but several reefers in R2R have linked (I don't know them) some resources for 4-5 stage RODI systems that are not expensive.
Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to sound counterintuitive, but if you want to try and save money, buy a TDS meter first.

This would allow you to check the TDS of your source water, and determine how many filters you need.

Check Craigslist and Facebook too. Other than pumps, RO/DI systems don't really wear, and you may be able to get something secondhand cheap. I bought a used RO/DI ten years ago, and again, except the pumps, check valves, and replacing filters, it still runs fine.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with the TDS meter. The answer to the question is that it depends. The cost of adding a DI is not that much and with a TDS meter, there is no guessing game =, including knowing when to change the filters.

I did a write up on my portable RODI I got 5 years ago knowing nothing. I was about to upgrade to one of the highly recommended BRS units in the $150 range, but got a TDS meter for $20 first.

Low and behold, 5 years later and a full year since I replaced my filters, my $99 (today's pricing) RODI was at 0 TDS ( and only 2 TDS between the RO and DI). I make between 5 and 10 gals of RODI a week. My unit is the 75 GPD.

Totally changed my thoughts on the unit. Why spend $50 more when the TDS is giving me proof the $99 unit as good if not better than a more expensive unit.

As for chlorine v chloramine, sellers will tell you that if your water supply uses chloramine, that you need a special filter, this has been debunked. If you do have chloramine, and use the standard filters, use an inexpensive chlorine test (pool and pond type) to test your RODI water. If it's present you can treat the water (basic aquarium water conditioner) until you change the filters an upgrade to a chloramine one (but odds are the basic RODI will remove the chloramines).

Here is my review of my $99 portable Reverse Osmosis Revolution RODI unit:

DaR333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with an RODI unit that suites your water conditions and needs. TDS Meter or EC meter and Pressure gauge are a must. Look for high quality filters and not cheap 1 or 5+ micron filters. SpectraPure is best and BRS is good for budget. Marine Depot is whee I get my stuff

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back