Roger's NUVO INT 75G

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to this forum, but I'm getting back into the hobby after moving away from my 65G my parents now take care of.

History:
Started with a 29G with a CPR overflow box and sump. I really liked this tank I just out grew it relatively quickly.
29g.jpg

I upgraded to a 65G DSA NEO and it went really smoothly until I moved away then the tankw as pretty much cursed. I won TOTM on another forum when it was in its prime but that was 3 years ago and it's finally re-stabilizing after a crash... or two.
65g TOTM.jpg

Plans:
(bold indicates it has been purchased)

Tank: NUVO INT 75
Sump: Synergy Reef CL34 (storm cloud)
Lights: 2xradion g4 pro
Flow: 2 mp40QD
Return: Vectra M2
Skimmer: Skimz SC167 DC
Controller: GHL Profilux 4e
Dosing: GHL Doser 2.1
Heaters: 2x150w Jager

The sump, plumbing, and equipment will follow a monochrome theme of black, grey, and white. Should look pretty slick when it's all done. I'll paint the handles of the valves, but the blue on the vectra might be unchangeable.

Mixing Station:
2 Norwesco Horizontal 35G Containers
RODI line is split. Top is SW mixed by a NERO5 pump and gravity drained into the tank. I’ll likely get a small pump to pump the water change water out of the sump but as of right no I’m using gravity.

Plans for stocking is up in the air right now.
SPS dominant with my favorite LPS of course
Fish: I want a center piece tang like a yellow eye kole, or tomini (or both?) and the rest of the fish be smaller and have more of them ( maybe swissguard and chalk basslets?)

I'm a photographer too, so expect cool pics if I'm not too lazy!

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to this forum, but I'm getting back into the hobby after moving away from my 65G my parents now take care of.

Plans:

Tank: NUVO EXT 75 (ordered)
Sump: custom 31x16x16 from synergy
lights: 2xradion g4 pro (maybe 3 eventually)
flow: 2 mp40QD
return: Vectra M2
Skimmer: skimz DC probably
heaters: BRS
Manifold: Vectra S2
Controller: Neptune Apex

I'll have 2 norwesco 35G tanks to build a set up to mix/store FW/SW and that should be fun to have.

Plans for stocking is up in the air right now.
SPS dominant with my favorite LPS of course
Fish: I want a center piece tang like a yellow eye kole, or tomini (or both?) and the rest of the fish be smaller and have more of them ( maybe swissguard and chalk basslets?)

I'm a photographer too, so expect cool pics if I'm not too lazy!
Welcome to the forum. You’ll love the quality of the IM tank, they’re great. I’m looking forward to following your build.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted synergy reef systems. They’re gonna make me a 31” version of their CL-34!
I’m still trying to decide how to plumb it. Hard plumb it or flex tube? I need some plumbsperation!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. It's one of the tanks i'm looking at for my next build. So i'll be following along.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow my order went in as an INT... ugh. I called marinedepot and they're going to set me up with an RMA. is this the excuse I need to go to 100G?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow my order went in as an INT... ugh. I called marinedepot and they're going to set me up with an RMA. is this the excuse I need to go to 100G?
Of course it is :) You’ve already decided you want the 100. If you have the room and it’s in the budget why not just do it?

Thad disbrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love INT tanks. Had a 40INT for a few years. Held up just fine and really nice with everything built into the back of it if you aren't looking for custom sump or anything. I ended up drilling mine and adding a sump later on

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love INT tanks. Had a 40INT for a few years. Held up just fine and really nice with everything built into the back of it if you aren't looking for custom sump or anything. I ended up drilling mine and adding a sump later on

There's no way I'm keeping the INT. I really don't want an overflow box in the display.
I'll swap it for the EXT.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp changed my mind. the swap cost was insane. keeping the INT. It's not a bad tank and it actually fits the space way better. The external box would have pushed it that much further away from the wall and would have borderline in the way.

Question, thinking about the SKIMZ 167 DC skimmer for the set up, is that too overkill? I plan on hooking in a frag tank eventually maybe 30G or so.

Side question: Back in the day everyone always said "find a skimmer that's rate for 2x your system volume." Lately I see products rated for different stocking plans, low/med/high with different gallon ratings? is that "2x your volume" rule going out the window?

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my sump. Synergy reef standard sump CL34 with their silencers. I don’t think I’ll end up running triton so a skimmer and a algae scrubber might be the route I take.

After measuring the ABS stand I found out a 34 sump can fit in there but I’ll have to boost it up about 2”. It’s unlikely I’ll be able to fit it through the front door so the top panel might be coming off to lower the sump down into it.

it’ll make moving the sump out impossible but in my 5 years of feeding I’ve moved a sump out of the stand one time so I’m not to worried about it.

The sumps are in stock so I’m excited to get it in. It looks gorgeous on the site.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 by roger klein, on Flickr

Vectra m2 by roger klein, on Flickr

will likely use another m2 down the line for my SW mixing station.
I'm planning on hitting a button on the apex, which has the SW mixing station run on a timer for 24H then turn it off, notify me so I can place a heater in for a few hours before a WC.

I'm going to use two of these:
Norwesco 35g by roger klein, on Flickr

but I haven't found a SW mixing station design that I like that could also fit the space constraints and such.

I also ordered my lights, vortechs, and some misc. plumbing so I can get it planned out before the sump comes.
I'd like some updates from synergyreef, but the only one I got was saying the sump is "in production."

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp changed my mind. the swap cost was insane. keeping the INT. It's not a bad tank and it actually fits the space way better. The external box would have pushed it that much further away from the wall and would have borderline in the way.

Question, thinking about the SKIMZ 167 DC skimmer for the set up, is that too overkill? I plan on hooking in a frag tank eventually maybe 30G or so.

Side question: Back in the day everyone always said "find a skimmer that's rate for 2x your system volume." Lately I see products rated for different stocking plans, low/med/high with different gallon ratings? is that "2x your volume" rule going out the window?

get a skimmer rated for your size tank

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my sump. Synergy reef standard sump CL34 with their silencers. I don’t think I’ll end up running triton so a skimmer and a algae scrubber might be the route I take.

After measuring the ABS stand I found out a 34 sump can fit in there but I’ll have to boost it up about 2”. It’s unlikely I’ll be able to fit it through the front door so the top panel might be coming off to lower the sump down into it.

it’ll make moving the sump out impossible but in my 5 years of feeding I’ve moved a sump out of the stand one time so I’m not to worried about it.

The sumps are in stock so I’m excited to get it in. It looks gorgeous on the site.

I have seen people put 34" sump into the INT 75 stand. I think there is another guy on reef2reef who has done it. And a local guy showed me pics of how he did it. He put the stand on the side and took of the side panel and put the sump in. You will need to build a new floor that sits up on the frame though. Following along. Hoping to start my build thread soon

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people put 34" sump into the INT 75 stand. I think there is another guy on reef2reef who has done it. And a local guy showed me pics of how he did it. He put the stand on the side and took of the side panel and put the sump in. You will need to build a new floor that sits up on the frame though. Following along. Hoping to start my build thread soon

Yep. That’s the plan! I haven’t decided on how I want to boost the sump up. The stand came with an ABS shelf that is supposed to go above the stand. I could definitely trim this panel to fit where I need it to, but I’m in no rush in that regard. Glad to have you following along. It’ll be boring for a bit but once that sump come and a drain line gets put in my furnace room, it’s go time!

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... yeah.
but over the last 5 years the phrase “rated for your tank” has drastically changed meanings. Even the skimz site has a different rating than BRS.
Lollll sorry man. Pick a skimmer thats rated for the size of aqauarium you have. If a skimmer is rated for 60 gallons then get a skimmer rated for 60 gallons. If you are planning on heavy feeding and a lot of fish then id go a little bigger

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That's probably going to be my next tank! Good luck and following along.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lollll sorry man. Pick a skimmer thats rated for the size of aqauarium you have. If a skimmer is rated for 60 gallons then get a skimmer rated for 60 gallons. If you are planning on heavy feeding and a lot of fish then id go a little bigger
The skimz sm167 has a rating of 50-120g(their numbers. Brs says 120g for high bioload. So I should be okay then.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back