Rookie reefer Sps [emoji722] help !

Robg139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m a rookie reefer running my first tank have a bunch of corals mostly softies and lps. I have a few sps that we’re thrown in to a pack I bought wasn’t really ready for them but was kind of stuck with them so trying my best to make them succeed but one is looking really bad. I’ve had them in the tank for about 2 weeks, I haven’t seen this ones polyps extend at all, also seems that algae builds up on it, I’ve been blowing it off not sure if that’s the right thing to do. My parameters I try to keep as tight as possible. Salinity is a steady 1.025 temp run at 78-79, alk 9.5 calcium 420, mag 1380. Nitrates 1.0 ppm and po3 is .10 ppm so fairly consistent and I don’t think out of range. Here are some pics
IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Any advice or if you see I’m doing something wrong or critiques will be appreciated. Thankyou. I do see white tips on the bird nest acro and don’t even know what types the other two Acros are. But seems lik my middle one is bleaching I never saw polyps on the middle one since day one and has always been that whitish color since I got it.

Ufjd144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember that flow is extremely important for SPS. Random moderate to high flow is preferable in most instances. I see that you have a circulation pump aiming up, so not sure from pics how much movement there is at the SPS level in your tank.

OP
OP
Robg139

Robg139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always best to start them at the bottom and then move them up. What kind of light do you have? Did you dril acclimate them?

Yes I drip acclimate and then dip all my coral. Yes also all my corals start in the sandbed and work there way up, I put the sps up a lot faster then I would my lps and softies being that they need higher light, maybe I should have waited longer, but the greenish blue one looks fine and has polyps out. I have a AI prime hd.

OP
OP
Robg139

Robg139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember that flow is extremely important for SPS. Random moderate to high flow is preferable in most instances. I see that you have a circulation pump aiming up, so not sure from pics how much movement there is at the SPS level in your tank.

Okay yes that is an additional pump I bought as well as the stock one that has two heads, for this small of a tank it has pretty good flow, but it point is very well taken because the green one gets the best flow and that one is doing the best, should I aim that pump more towards the sps and see how they do ? I’ve been noticing I’ve had to blow off detritus that fell onto the coral so may well not be enough flow toward them. I will try right now turning on them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back