OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. I thought the same thing too. You'll feel better though after you start the practice, because you'll know that they're parasite free. It's all a learning experience, though.
Its just sad because I should have just done it in the first place and if worst comes to worst they all die I would never stop hating myself. Can we rule out the Aiptasia stinging theory just because I read that fish can produce more of a slime coat.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ive learnt my lesson about quarantining, should have just done it in the first place.
To be fair, quarantine may not have helped, my Royal gramma looks the same as yours, it was fine for the first 5 months in the tank, then changed sex, since that it's personally has totally changed, doesn't eat a lot and is slowly loosing condition.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, quarantine may not have helped, my Royal gramma looks the same as yours, it was fine for the first 5 months in the tank, then changed sex, since that it's personally has totally changed, doesn't eat a lot and is slowly loosing condition.
Oh no thats not good! Is it ok if you can send a picture of yours? I also didnt realise they can change sex so thats pretty cool however it not eating is quite a bad problem I wish you all my luck.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no thats not good! Is it ok if you can send a picture of yours? I also didnt realise they can change sex so thats pretty cool however it not eating is quite a bad problem I wish you all my luck.
Thanks..

Just tried to get a pic but he stays at the bottom of the tank, right in the rocks so couldn't get a good pic, He is constantly digging in the sandbed filling his month with sand and spiting it over the rocks, I believe he's building a nest, food seems a low priority.

If yours is acting in a like manner it could be the same thing.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks..

Just tried to get a pic but he stays at the bottom of the tank, right in the rocks so couldn't get a good pic, He is constantly digging in the sandbed filling his month with sand and spiting it over the rocks, I believe he's building a nest, food seems a low priority.

If yours is acting in a like manner it could be the same thing.
Mine seems to be out all the time in the open or caves, eats pretty well, infact quite the opposite of yours. My theory for this whole situation is 1) brooklynella 2) aiptasia sting

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not an aiptasia sting. That seldom happens and that really doesn't look too much like a sting reaction.
I think im going to be a complete and utter idiot and play the wait game because nothing has happened to it externally ( the blotching hasnt gotten worse or better ) and seems fine other than that however if I do see a big decline then I will act ASAP.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to be a complete and utter idiot and play the wait game because nothing has happened to it externally ( the blotching hasnt gotten worse or better ) and seems fine other than that however if I do see a big decline then I will act ASAP.
If you do that, expect casualties. Nothing wrong with your decision, but it is certainly a risky one. It's definitely hard to be starting out and experience this. I was greeted to reefkeeping with parasites, and everything died because I didn't really know what to do. Fast forward several months, I was faced with the same challenge, but had the supplies and knowledge to do so. Sadly, if you wait, things will die. You'll feel guilty. But you'll become a better reefer for it.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been researching a load over the past 2 hours and it still doesnt make sense to me if it is brooklynella but im kinda stupid when it comes to these things :/

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time to understand. To tell the truth, I'm not entirely sure if it's Brooklynella either. It's just that Brook is known for affecting the mucous coat, and your royal gramma definitely looks like something is wrong with its mucous coat. Glad to hear you are doing research, though! That's the best way to rack up on knowledge! :)

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time to understand. To tell the truth, I'm not entirely sure if it's Brooklynella either. It's just that Brook is known for affecting the mucous coat, and your royal gramma definitely looks like something is wrong with its mucous coat. Glad to hear you are doing research, though! That's the best way to rack up on knowledge! :)
To be honest, I didnt even do research at all with diseases and parasites because I thought they where hard to come by, my freshwater fish have no diseases whats so ever. Also my LFS got back to me and said they cannot refund or take back the fish however if it dies they would like a sample of my water and photos of this fish before and after death. They also said that it may have been that it scratched its head and needs healing which should take about a week.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I didnt even do research at all with diseases and parasites because I thought they where hard to come by, my freshwater fish have no diseases whats so ever. Also my LFS got back to me and said they cannot refund or take back the fish however if it dies they would like a sample of my water and photos of this fish before and after death. They also said that it may have been that it scratched its head and needs healing which should take about a week.
It sounds to me like the lfs is saying it scratched its head because they wouldn't openly say their fish have parasites. Also, freshwater diseases are definitely nowhere near as deadly or abundant as saltwater disease. They're also much easier to remove.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like the lfs is saying it scratched its head because they wouldn't openly say their fish have parasites. Also, freshwater diseases are definitely nowhere near as deadly or abundant as saltwater disease. They're also much easier to remove.
True however I undertake every fish is different and they use the same quarantine method for eveything in the store but they had copperbands,harlequin tusks, orange spot filefish and yellow spotted scorpion fish. However this point to be fair is completely invalid. I understand there advice isnt the best but its controversial because there keeping rare and hard to get fish.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCEEE829-4836-4B0E-BD35-069C3023B5C9.jpeg

Todays update! Eats like an absolute pig and is absolutely healthy other than this colour “thing”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back