OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I've been in the same boat as you. Tank parasites are never easy, and it takes a while to get a good idea about each one. Thankfully, R2R has all the answers, and we're always here to help! That's how I learned these things, through time and experience, and the help of this forum.

I think a FW dip might help confirm if they're flukes or not. If nothing comes off, then I may begin to fear some more difficult and deadly parasites like velvet or brooklynella. However, seeing that you got the fish on Saturday, that would be strange, as those two parasites are fast acting.
A832F7DD-3895-40D7-AC59-68646BEA3B40.jpeg

Just as im prepping the freshwater dip I go to look where he is when all of a sudden the back of his fin is gone! Should I proceed with the dip I dont know what to do im in panick mode!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A832F7DD-3895-40D7-AC59-68646BEA3B40.jpeg

Just as im prepping the freshwater dip I go to look where he is when all of a sudden the back of his fin is gone! Should I proceed with the dip I dont know what to do im in panick mode!
That’s probably just aggression from other fish. I would proceed, although it is very important you do not keep the fish in for too long, as it doesn’t take long for the dip to harm the fish.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably just aggression from other fish. I would proceed, although it is very important you do not keep the fish in for too long, as it doesn’t take long for the dip to harm the fish.
I couldnt catch him yesterday so ill try again this morning or afternoon if I have time

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! After 30 mins of catching we did the dip and there was absolutely nothing that came off of him. I am completely confused now.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! After 30 mins of catching we did the dip and there was absolutely nothing that came off of him. I am completely confused now.
Dips don't always 100% work. I'm still confident that something isn't right with your gramma. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose these things, though I do believe that there is some sort of parasitic infection going on. Do you have any pics today?

I still think the absolute best thing you can do is medicate it for parasites anyway. It's the only outcome in which you'll know that it is safe.

You could directly dose your tank, but your shrimp and worm would be at risk.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips don't always 100% work. I'm still confident that something isn't right with your gramma. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose these things, though I do believe that there is some sort of parasitic infection going on. Do you have any pics today?

I still think the absolute best thing you can do is medicate it for parasites anyway. It's the only outcome in which you'll know that it is safe.

You could directly dose your tank, but your shrimp and worm would be at risk.
4056845F-1066-446C-813F-F5E80AEDD0F1.jpeg
7B5B4BAF-AE4F-482A-9A27-7325DDC6BA5A.jpeg
EB173B27-B80B-47EF-A4FE-CCF87B80D30D.jpeg

I think I will leave him alone for a couple of days because I think I have stressed him out alot recently which may not be helping

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4056845F-1066-446C-813F-F5E80AEDD0F1.jpeg
7B5B4BAF-AE4F-482A-9A27-7325DDC6BA5A.jpeg
EB173B27-B80B-47EF-A4FE-CCF87B80D30D.jpeg

I think I will leave him alone for a couple of days because I think I have stressed him out alot recently which may not be helping
Keep an eye out, though, and maybe consider setting up a hospital tank. Parasites can be unpredictable, and if your gramma is infected, you can expect to see other fish become infected as well. The sloughing of the mucous coat is a sign of brook, which I certainly hope is not the case. You definitely want to be ready to tackle whatever comes next.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out, though, and maybe consider setting up a hospital tank. Parasites can be unpredictable, and if your gramma is infected, you can expect to see other fish become infected as well. The sloughing of the mucous coat is a sign of brook, which I certainly hope is not the case. You definitely want to be ready to tackle whatever comes next.
I realised I have a couple Aiptasias in my tank, do you think that he maybe got stung by one as its near his cave and then his slime coat is trying to repair his scales/head? Im just wondering because im a noobie :/ I am ready for anything to happen at this point

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with setting up a QT tank. Get a cheapo 10 gallon starter tank, hang on the back filter, and heater. I went through the same EXACT set of circumstances with my royal gramma a few weeks ago. It ended up dying and whatever it had killed one of my clowns too.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realised I have a couple Aiptasias in my tank, do you think that he maybe got stung by one as its near his cave and then his slime coat is trying to repair his scales/head? Im just wondering because im a noobie :/ I am ready for anything to happen at this point
Eh...seems kinda unlikely. Coral stings usually are more of black marks than white patches. I truly think that you're dealing with parasites, and that it needs to be treated fast. Even if you're not 100% sure of the exact disease, preemptive action is always best, because many people don't actually medicate until it is too late and the fish's immune system is compromised.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with setting up a QT tank. Get a cheapo 10 gallon starter tank, hang on the back filter, and heater. I went through the same EXACT set of circumstances with my royal gramma a few weeks ago. It ended up dying and whatever it had killed one of my clowns too.
I think it was brook in your case, too. I also had a royal gramma that got this exact appearance, and as soon as it died, my clown showed the same symptoms immediately, then died a few hours later.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Even though not deemed as brooklynella, it has some of the characteristics of such and I would try either a 90 minute daily bath with formalin or ruby rally pro- if they’re available in the UK
Appetite is a good sign- assure water quality and diet is maintained. Addition of selcon vitamins and garlic to the foods will help stamina and immunity health for the fish

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was brook in your case, too. I also had a royal gramma that got this exact appearance, and as soon as it died, my clown showed the same symptoms immediately, then died a few hours later.

I was thinking the same thing. The one thing that made me think it wasn't was that the gramma and clown each hung on for like 3-4 days with symptoms before dying. I thought brook usually killed faster than that?

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now im feeding frozen garlic copepods, swims perfect and acts perfect, breathes normally, isnt stressed, water params are all good and the clownfish and goby seem absolutely fine. Can brooklynella “go away” or do you have to treat it?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now im feeding frozen garlic copepods, swims perfect and acts perfect, breathes normally, isnt stressed, water params are all good and the clownfish and goby seem absolutely fine. Can brooklynella “go away” or do you have to treat it?

Nope. It goes in cycles, will come back worse (if that's what it is).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. The one thing that made me think it wasn't was that the gramma and clown each hung on for like 3-4 days with symptoms before dying. I thought brook usually killed faster than that?
Brook and velvet are notorious for being fast killers, though that's not always the case. It can last on a fish for almost a week, but their reproductive rate is incredibly fast. They also go straight for the gills unlike ich, making them especially lethal and fast-acting. It lasted about 3-4 days on my fish too. The only one that actually managed to survive through the whole outbreak was my firefish. I was impressed. Then my emerald crab managed to catch him and rip him in half. :rolleyes:

I think that brook doesn't necessarily act super fast all the time, but when it finally hits it hits hard. IME it takes a few days to develop, but it eventually gets enough individual parasites to wipe clean the whole tank.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some formalin which is 30% would that be good enough? Would i also use ro water and an aerator? Should the other fish go in aswell?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ive learnt my lesson about quarantining, should have just done it in the first place.
Welcome to the club. I thought the same thing too. You'll feel better though after you start the practice, because you'll know that they're parasite free. It's all a learning experience, though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back