rtparty’s NYOS 440

How's your halide project coming along? I'm really having a hard time deciding on using halide over my new build or the Reefbreeders Meridian I just picked up. I may go halide and sell my Meridian 35. It's brand new, unopened.
 
How's your halide project coming along? I'm really having a hard time deciding on using halide over my new build or the Reefbreeders Meridian I just picked up. I may go halide and sell my Meridian 35. It's brand new, unopened.

It’s going well. Waiting on 2 female connectors to wire up my DIY ballasts. As soon as they’re here, time to fire up the halides.

Got the light hung last night from the shelf. Need to add the back part tonight but we are ready to rock and roll

My opinion is halides really are getting SUPER hard to find. LEDs aren’t going anywhere. I can switch to LEDs whenever I want but I’m going to ride with these halides a long time. Radium bulbs last 24 months or longer on good M80 ballasts. Buying a couple sets will last me a very long time

I do plan to swap the T5s for AI Blades soon though. @jackson6745 swapped the T5s for Blades and they fit in perfectly.
 
I know, I'm right there with you. I have 8 Radium bulbs and 4 M80 ballasts that I keep in reserve. I'm probably going to run halides over this new build until I can't source anymore halide stuff. I mean, I will be able to but it will be horticulture stuff.
 
I know, I'm right there with you. I have 8 Radium bulbs and 4 M80 ballasts that I keep in reserve. I'm probably going to run halides over this new build until I can't source anymore halide stuff. I mean, I will be able to but it will be horticulture stuff.

As long as Aquarium Specialty keeps bringing in Radiums, we are set for a long while. It’s the M80 ballasts and parts that I’ve found most difficult. I am hoping the Sylvania bare bones kit I bought will last and everything I’ve found says they will last for a decade or more. I’d love one set of backup ballasts just in case and then wait til we hear Radiums aren’t being brought in any longer and then hoard them 😆
 
I was lucky enough to go to RAP NY with @Ryan - Serious Reefs and what a blast that was! Meeting many of you in person is a genuine highlight of this hobby for me

I wasn’t able to pick up any coral to bring back but there was some very cool looking stuff and every vendor I spoke to was super cool. Especially the NY LFS vendors I got to meet.

IMG_2594.jpeg


Above has nothing to do with this tank so let’s give an update there too….

My female ends for the ballasts came in while I was gone and so did the new T5 bulbs. I’ll get those ballasts up tonight or tomorrow and get the Radium’s going.

Unfortunately, UPS destroyed the sand from @LiverockRocks last week but they immediately stepped up and offered to replace the whole thing. UPS won’t cover damages on live sand so this time we are shipping to the airport and I’ll go retrieve it. I should have that next Monday the 30th and corals will go in within a day or two. Perfect timing with the 4th!
 
Yep, they are fantastic to work with and I’ll recommend them to anyone
Thanks for working through this UPS issue with grace.
Not sure what was going on with UPS last week, but we lost every 40lbs order of live sand and many of the 15lbs nano. This is disheartening not only the financial loss (UPS will not cover live shipments) but more importantly the loss of lifeforms.

Hey, we've got some super exciting news! The latest AquaBiomics testing of the rock / sand holding system once again tests 0 for coral and fish pathogens, plus 0 for fish/clam/coral parasites. Rest assured your prized inhabitants won't be getting sick from TBS!
 
Well, one ballast fired right up. The other isn’t firing the bulb for some reason. The ballast is working so I think something is loose between the ballast and ignitor.

My lid from Top Lids comes this week and sand next week. I suspect this tank will have all the SPS frags moved into it next week along with some fish from my LFS
 
Thanks for working through this UPS issue with grace.
Not sure what was going on with UPS last week, but we lost every 40lbs order of live sand and many of the 15lbs nano. This is disheartening not only the financial loss (UPS will not cover live shipments) but more importantly the loss of lifeforms.

Hey, we've got some super exciting news! The latest AquaBiomics testing of the rock / sand holding system once again tests 0 for coral and fish pathogens, plus 0 for fish/clam/coral parasites. Rest assured your prized inhabitants won't be getting sick from TBS!
this is great to hear. I will be ordering approx 40 lbs of sand in the next couple months. My tank is smaller than the OP’s.
 
Well, one ballast fired right up. The other isn’t firing the bulb for some reason. The ballast is working so I think something is loose between the ballast and ignitor.

My lid from Top Lids comes this week and sand next week. I suspect this tank will have all the SPS frags moved into it next week along with some fish from my LFS
No flicker or anything? Does the transformer hum?
 
No flicker or anything? Does the transformer hum?

No flicker or anything and I’ve ruled out bulb or socket.

There is an arcing sound when turned on. I’ve been working with PaulErik on it and it sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Best I can tell the ballast is firing just fine but a wire may be loose between the ballast and ignitor.

When I originally put the whole thing together I didn’t have the female Sunlight Supply ends to wire in but we tested the setup and it worked. I got the female ends and wired them in, cleaned up the wiring mess, and closed the enclosure. Turned it on and heard a weird static popping arcing sound. Tested it with the fixture and nothing. I took it apart and found the ground wasn’t properly tightened down (whoops) so I fixed that and tested again. Still nothing and the sound was still there. After a few seconds you can smell ozone/electricity/whatever like it’s arcing. I can’t see anything loose but will tear it all apart in the next few days
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new