rtparty’s NYOS 440

I was lucky enough to go to RAP NY with @Ryan - Serious Reefs and what a blast that was! Meeting many of you in person is a genuine highlight of this hobby for me

I wasn’t able to pick up any coral to bring back but there was some very cool looking stuff and every vendor I spoke to was super cool. Especially the NY LFS vendors I got to meet.

IMG_2594.jpeg


Above has nothing to do with this tank so let’s give an update there too….

My female ends for the ballasts came in while I was gone and so did the new T5 bulbs. I’ll get those ballasts up tonight or tomorrow and get the Radium’s going.

Unfortunately, UPS destroyed the sand from @LiverockRocks last week but they immediately stepped up and offered to replace the whole thing. UPS won’t cover damages on live sand so this time we are shipping to the airport and I’ll go retrieve it. I should have that next Monday the 30th and corals will go in within a day or two. Perfect timing with the 4th!Was

Was an awesome time. Thanks for helping :)
 
Been running the T5s daily and halides just at night while I’m home. Diatoms are starting to move in. Added like 15 baby trochus from my other tank. I also took a tester coral from the 25 that just wasn’t doing much for some reason. Every other coral in the 25 is exploding with growth and color but not this one. We will see if it turns around

Still need to clean up the wires and figure out how to take better photos. These pics are all lights on and no filter. It’s leaning too blue and dim currently. The Radiums are anything but dim

IMG_2605.jpeg


IMG_2604.jpeg
 
Beautiful setup. But that light. WOW. It is perfect haha

Thanks! I am really enjoying it but need to figure out taking pictures with it. It is MUCH brighter and whiter in person. The fish look absolutely amazing under it

Likely time to bust out the DSLR and start learning it all
 

It should be cleared up when I get home today and I can't wait to see what emerged. I saw at least one small hermit crab or I assume it was a hermit of some kind. Had white legs I think. It was tough to know looking through the mess I made
 
Good news and bad news….

Bad news first, 4 of the 6 anthias have died but the remaining 2 seem to be healthy. All 4 that died were eating just fine until they weren’t. Then they lie on the sand or in a hole, mouth gaping, stop eating, white stripes appear on their sides, and death within 24 hours.

Good news is I got all the SPS frags over, setup dosing, and hung a towel hook up 😆

IMG_2633.jpeg
IMG_2632.jpeg


Need to clean up the wires best I can still
 
Tonight’s testing results:

1752110590194.png



When I tested a few days ago alkalinity was at 6.4dkh so I upped AFR to 15ml per day. I will back it off slightly since 15ml might be a little much for now. I am going to up my phosphate dosing to 10ml per day which should be around .01ppm dosed per day. Might need to double it if I get 0s again next week
 
Tonight’s testing results:

1752110590194.png



When I tested a few days ago alkalinity was at 6.4dkh so I upped AFR to 15ml per day. I will back it off slightly since 15ml might be a little much for now. I am going to up my phosphate dosing to 10ml per day which should be around .01ppm dosed per day. Might need to double it if I get 0s again next week
What is your target range for p04?
Is 75.5 consequential, to the room temp, or do you see benefit vs 78-79?
 
What is your target range for p04?
Is 75.5 consequential, to the room temp, or do you see benefit vs 78-79?

I’d like to see PO4 at .05ppm minimum especially early on. My belief is this helps keep dinoflagellates away while everything establishes. Especially because this tank went right into high light SPS PAR mode.

Some years ago someone made a decent argument of why they ran their tanks at 72-74° instead of the more typical 77-79°. It persuaded me to try it and I lowered my then tank to 75°. I saw nothing negative with any of the fish or coral so I’ve just run all my tanks around 75-76° since then. Less energy use is one benefit. I can’t remember what the other benefits were supposed to be 😂
 
Also @rtparty with the lower temp, does the salinity need to be adjusted or is the temp difference negligible?
 
Also @rtparty with the lower temp, does the salinity need to be adjusted or is the temp difference negligible?

Sorry I missed this. I just run the salinity around 35ppt whether the tank is at 75 or 77°
 
While the tank continues to progress nicely it’s not all rainbows and butterflies.

4 of the 6 anthias died due to uronema and the Flame Angel passed away unexpectedly. I think I’ve mentioned all that already but we also have our first coral death. I believe it is called Gila Monster but it showed some signs of struggling even before the move. It browned out and started bleaching in the 25g. All other corals seem to be doing well though.

I bought an AI Blade to replace 2 of the T5s but am not sure it will work as planned. It’s heavier than the T5 bulbs and makes the fixture unlevel. So I will need a 2nd Blade to counteract this. But the more pressing matter is then heat from the halides may be too much and I risk ruining the LEDs. So for now the T5s stay in.

Time to test the alkalinity and make any adjustments to the AFR dosing
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new