Salinity level's influence on tanks microbiome

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
Somewhere I read that salinity level has an influence on the microbiome. It said that higher levels (above 1.025) limit advantageous bacteria's diversity/ability to reproduce and remain active.
There's surely something about it, as one of the best aquarium bacterias product - Microbe Lift Special Blend - recommends doubling the dosage in saltwater aquariums in comparison to freshwater ones.

I just wonder if breaching a certain threshold of salinity, which is quite commonly used by aquarists would really be that impactful on the microbiology of a reef tank.

*Saltwater environments – the bacteria in this product will remain effective when used in marine environments with a specific gravity of 1.017 to 1.025. In new marine tanks, add the aquarium salt mix and allow the water to circulate for 24 hours, then check and adjust the density. Add the bacteria after the water has circulated for the 24-hour period.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there,
Somewhere I read that salinity level has an influence on the microbiome. It said that higher levels (above 1.025) limit advantageous bacteria's diversity/ability to reproduce and remain active.
There's surely something about it, as one of the best aquarium bacterias product - Microbe Lift Special Blend - recommends doubling the dosage in saltwater aquariums in comparison to freshwater ones.

I just wonder if breaching a certain threshold of salinity, which is quite commonly used by aquarists would really be that impactful on the microbiology of a reef tank.
I do not think thats possible to answer - since every tank has a different microbiome. For example - look at the bacteria that live near volcanic vents - at temperatures which would kill many others. The quick answer - is that salt is a disinfectant. The higher the salinity - the more it's possible that certain bacteria will not survive. The converse may also be true - Undesirable bacteria may grow at lower levels. I guess the message - keep your specific gravity (salinity is a different thing) - between 1.025 and 1.026 if possible:). Welcome to the site!!!!!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. Looking at the natural world, typical reef SG is somewhere around 1.025 to 1.026 with the Red Sea being an exception with a range between 1.028 and 1.035 (depending on local location).

Would the composition of the microorganisms (or the relative density of the various microorganisms) be different at 1.024 vs. 1.035?

@AquaBiomics : Eli over at Aquabiomics might have an answer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back