OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an insane amount of salt for 4 gallons. Most salts are 1/2 cup per gallon to get you close. One of your instruments are out of whack most likely.
I keep checking the calibration of the refractometer and comparing it with a hydrometer and they are reading the same. I agree. Something seems off with the amount of salt versus the readings. I don't know if this is normal with Instant Ocean, or some other variable. Or if something is just wrong with the way I'm doing it. I'm letting the salt I put in there sit for a while to see what the readings will be later...

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my IO Reef Crystals overnight in a 5 gallon W/ a powerhead the day before the waterchange. I put the heater in a few hours before I use it or until its up to temp.

5 gallons should use no more than 2 1/2 cups of salt Mix. Again, I use reef crystals, maybe there's a difference.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calibration fluid could be bad. Don't use a hydrometer to double check it, they are known for being off. Do you have a LFS nearby to check your calibration?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try taking a reading of you tank too if you know about where it should be salinity wise. Another thing you can do is test some rodi water and it should read 1.0000

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take it to my LFS the next chance I get. My tank is reading 1.026. I don't have rodi. I'm using distilled. It would read the same?

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my Fritz salt in 3 or 4 5 gallon pales with a powerhead and heater the day before the water change.

2 1/2 cups of salt should get you close for 5 gallons. If I need to adjust and add a little more then i just throw some in until it mixes clear and matches my salinity in my DT.

Then again every salt is different and mixes differently .

Try getting some new calibration fluid or take to your LFS to check.

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is helpful. I'll let the water churn through tomorrow and try to get to the LFS for a second opinion on the calibration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a salt mix is dissolved by eye, it is good to go. Assuming that the mixing process allowed oxygen to enter sufficiently, there' no magic chemistry going in that is unseen that you need to wait for.

5 minutes can be sufficient to mix salt if you drive it fast enough. The old article below shows how:

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the refractometer to the LFS for a second opinion and they said it was off by 5 points. They adjusted it and I came home. The bucket after 4 1/2 cups of salt read right at 1.026. My tank is reading 1.031 :eek:. I only have snails in the main tank right now....those are some tough snails.

That brings me to how to lower the salinity...If change out 4 gallons and replace it with the 4 gallon bucket of water...and repeat every few days, will that safely lower the salinity back to normal?

Last edited:

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and hit a salinity of 1.025 with 875 grams of salt to exactly 5 gallons of 78F RODI WATER. I run a sump pump in a bucket with an adjustable air intake set at very low (air) and circulate for 2 hours then do my weekly water change. It works great for me. I don’t store mixed water. I make it on damand like this and have never had a problem with stress or water quality issues. Salinity is always consistsnt with this method. Just what works for me and use a scale for your salt in grams and find what works perfect then it’s predictable moving forward every time. Just using a cup measurement will always weigh different and be off slightly. If your DT salinity is slightly low or high, you can adjust the grams used for your water change and keep track of your results to balance your DT with your water changes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back