salt which do you use

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean or RC. Lately been using the latter but since 2 part additive is nearly free, might go back to IO for the $5/box savings.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so those of you using the Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea Salt, question what type of setup do you have Reef with corals or fish only ? If corals SPS or LPS what type..
I use this salt on a couple of different mixed reefs and have very good results. I also top-off with kalkwasser, to keep up with Ca consumption.

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salinity right now and it's good. I also got some ESV to try out next.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so those of you using the Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea Salt, question what type of setup do you have Reef with corals or fish only ? If corals SPS or LPS what type..

sps dominant tank with a ca reactor, also top off with kw. Lower alk helps me to keep my alk from getting out of bounds and hi enough in mag so a rarely have to add any.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Salinity, but I had an emergency and had to get SeaChem Reef Salt. Not impressed with either, levels didn't mix to the label specifications. I have an LPS dominated tank, just starting into SPS.
Anyone else getting higher PO4 with ReefSalt?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Crystals for years, never had a problem with it. I did switch to Red Sea Coral Pro, but went back to RC. I might eventually move to Instant Ocean in my Fish Only.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use used Instant Ocean for the first 18 months. As my tank got bigger and I continued to add corals I decided to switch over to Reef Crystals. I like it because of it's higher mixing levels. So far so good !

Last edited:

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use RC, but I got a bad batch, several buckets actually. every time I mix a bucket, my powerhead looked like it was used to mix concrete. This was a clean powerhead after mixing overnight.
IMG_2472.jpg

I now use brightwell. It's cost per gallon is the same as RC. I get 185 gallons out of a bucket that cost $56 (about 30 cents a gallon). RC buckets says 160 gallons but yields 130 gallons only at 1.026.
brightwell always mixes clear and very clean. no problems as long as they don't increase the price. dfs has them with free shipping, so I just stocked up.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot about that problem with RC, but maybe I have been lucky and never got those bad batches.

Very interesting about the Brightwell cost per gallon, thanks for posting that :)

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do too many WCs to use expensive salts so i just stick with IO....i use a CaRX so i don't care for the salts with higher levels of ALK and Cal.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back