salt which do you use

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I am currently using Reef Crystals and would like to try some other salts since alot of the online stores are offering free shipping...but I am lost I have been using the same salt for the last 5 years ..So what should I try or would be considered an upgrade in salt?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals for me. Out of curiosity why change salts...?

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals due to it being the easiest one to find at all stores, in case of emergency. Is there a reason you are thinking of switching after 5 years?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to rethink changing salts. If you are doing well with one salt, you may introduce more headaches with another (if it's not broke...). Also, you will probably have to change your dosing regamine if you are currently dosing or might have to start if you're not.

CJ

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CJO I know I could be stirring up problems by changing salts and if it ain't broken don't mess with it does apply...it's just all the deals on free shipping and I would like to try some other salt if it is considered an upgrade but I guess the salt I use already is the best ? Just wanted to live on the other side and try some fancy salt ...thanks guys was hoping one of you would say this salt rocks and is the best lol so I could justify the purchase thanks alot..just curious which is the best high end salt? and which is the worst high end salt?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent salt, nothing fancy, but its consistent and have never had an issue with it. Been using them for over 20 years

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the coralife salt mix- no particular reason except it's seemingly works to my satisfaction, and it's relatively on the cheaper side at a few of the LFS's here. I know a guy or two locally have said it's not buffered sufficiently for their tastes- but I've always pulled a 9dkh reading out of it when I mix it.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most public aquariums use IO (though a lot of that probably has to do with price). Reef Crystals is the same thing with higher magnesium and alkalinity. I, personally, wouldn't use Brightwells because of some of their quasi science (search for Randy Holmes-Farley and Brightwell for more info). Personally, I like that Salinity provides a certified listing of the levels of compounds and elements in its salt.

CJ

Last edited:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use seachem reef salt as its parameters are close to my tanks.. mixes well and 0 issues for me

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used the Brightwells when they first introduced it.....I guess I was a sucker for their marketing at the time.

I had ordered 4 buckets on a group buy and still had one laying around that I have now been mixing 50/50 with RC just to get rid of it.

Just hadn't heard much about it lately, that's why I brought it up

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently started using the Aquavitro Salinity and so far really enjoy it. It's a little more expensive but from what I've seen when testing the levels accurately match the bucket specific levels they provide for you.

Stussyredhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Brightwell for about 7 months with no issues did have to change dosing but I have no major issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back