Saltwater newbie

Nemises1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've been into aquarium keeping for sometime now, always fresh water but I've finally gotten a tank specifically to set up a saltwater tank and of course I need to dive Right into a reef tank! I'm very excited to start this long journey and have you all with me!

I picked up a 75 gallon tank off craigslist that is 36" long 18" wide and 24" tall, it was already drilled with 1x 1 1/2" in the back for a h20verflow which he included along with 1x 3/4" hole for a siphon stopper return line ( also got with it). The stand is a bit small and not really my style so I'm thinking that I'll end up having a buddy make a slightly larger one in natural stained wood, also was going to have a canopy made for the top. I will be getting a darker set of blinds for the window too, unfortunately this is to only spot I can have the tank for the near future.

I've got a few pounds of older dry rock that I'm assuming was previously in this tank, it's decent looking pieces but they were filthy. I'm most likely going to do a bleach cure on those rocks and start to cycle them after in a bucket asap. I was considering using Tampa Bay saltwater live rock and getting their 75 gallon package but wasn't sure if it would be ok to mix them both in the tank. (May use them for sump or if it's not worth it a second build down the road lol)

I've got a little bit of equipment picked out that I'm thinking of getting for it but im still in the very early stages of planning so I'm sure it might all end up changing lol.

-Skimz UP39 SUMPRO SUMP
or
-Trigger Systems EMERALD SUMP 39

-Reef Octopus ELITE 150-INT 6" SUPER CONE PROTEIN SKIMMER
-Eheim 200W EHEIM JAGER AQUARIUM HEATER 2x
-JBJ ARCTICACHILLER 1/5 HP
-Theiling AUTOMATIC ROLLERMAT
-Pentair Aquatics SMARTUV 40 WATT
-Neptune Systems APEXCONTROLLER SYSTEM
-NEPTUNE SYSTEMS TRIDENT - MARINE AQUARIUM WATER ANALYZER
-Reef Octopus BIOCHURN 120R RECIRCULATING BIOPELLET REACTOR
-Orphek ATLANTIK V4 (GEN 2) LED LIGHT FIXTURE 2x
-KESSIL H1200 TUNA FLORA REFUGIUM LIGHT
-REEF OCTOPUS VARIOS-6 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (1720 GPH)
- 2.5" x 10" carbon filter
-Maxspect GYRE XF330 PUMP KIT WITH CONTROLLER

IMG_20190810_152450.jpg IMG_20190810_152503.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad you joined us and have taken the step to marine aquariums.
ONE THING I WANT TO EMPHASIZE:
You already know this is a different culture to freshwater. Nothing is fast in saltwater and you MUST take each step slowly. Impulse will jab at you but you MUST tell yourself NO. Ask the dumbest questions as they are generally the Best questions in this hobby. You can be very successful with this as long as you take each step slowly and with planning

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! This is a great place for information and the people here are friendly - it really is a neat reefing community!

OP
OP
Nemises1236

Nemises1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you joined us and have taken the step to marine aquariums.
ONE THING I WANT TO EMPHASIZE:
You already know this is a different culture to freshwater. Nothing is fast in saltwater and you MUST take each step slowly. Impulse will jab at you but you MUST tell yourself NO. Ask the dumbest questions as they are generally the Best questions in this hobby. You can be very successful with this as long as you take each step slowly and with planning
Thank you very much for the advice, I know that's going to be the hardest thing but I'm ok with being patient. I really want this tank to succeed so slow and steady is the name of this game. I've got 4 other freshwater tanks to keep myself entertained for the time being anyways! So much research for stocking the tank, much more involved that freshwater but I'm loving the community and the wealth of information that's available

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back