Salty Loyality! How often do you switch?

How LOYAL are you to your salt brand for your reef tank?

• I will never switch salts

Votes: 53 8.0%
  • It would take a lot for me to switch

Votes: 163 24.7%
  • I would switch depending on the reason

Votes: 290 43.9%
  • I could easily be persuaded to switch

Votes: 66 10.0%
  • I have no loyality to my salt

Votes: 89 13.5%

• Total voters

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve switched salts 4 times in 5 years. The things that are important to me are fast/clean mixing and needs to match the parameters of my tank. I have found that(and it happens to be affordable) and it would take some actual scientific proof (not an anecdotal opinion) that one is substantially better than mine for me to switch

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Pro for a couple reasons. I have always used IO and IORC for years but I got tired of the crud in the bucket and most of all the parameter differences. I run my tank around 8-8.3 dKh and Reef Crystal's always came out around 11 and that was just to high for a SPS dominate system. I have made 80 gallons worth of TM and so far it is night and day. Mixes clear in 15 minutes, no residue, and 24 hours later 8.3 dKh. Also, I used to buy the 200 gallon box of IORC and I never got 200 gallons out of it due to my salinity. In comparison I would rather spend $20 or a little more for TM.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. How many times have you switched salts over your aquarium career?

Instant Ocean regular. . . . . . 1981-2013
Instant Ocean Reef crystals . .2013-2017
Corallife . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..2016-2017
Red Sea Coral Pro . . . . . . . . . . 2017-2019
Fritz Pro . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2017-2017
Seachem salinity . . . . . . . . . . .2017 -2017 (
suddenly couldn't find any)
Aquaforest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2017-2019
Tropic Marin Actif . . . . . . . . . . 2019 to Current

*** Please note that I have multiple tanks ***

2. What would it take to get you to switch from one brand to another? (cost, purity, availability etc?)

Cost - quality - verified results

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Pro in my 1st tank for 4 years, out of the hobby for 5 years. Coral Pro for the 2nd tank for 1 year, wasn't performing like before, tried HW for a year and it seemed to decrease in clarity, switched to ESV and ain't looking back. It will be what goes in my 3rd tank which will be SPS dominant. It just works for me

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in 5 years. From ESV to TM Pro. Only reason I switched is because my alveopora prefer an Alk of 6-8 and ESV mixes up at ~9. TM Pro mixes up ~7.5.

Both great salts IMO. And I wouldn't hesistate for a second to use ESV again if I ever want to run in the 9-10 dKH range again.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a bunch of salts over the last 30 years, and I always end up back with plain old Instant Ocean in the purple box. It costs me less money and my corals are happy with it. In the last year I ran through 450 gallons of NeoMarine to see if I saw any differences in my system, and big surprise... I didn’t. So it’s back to IO for the remainder of my tanks existence.
A45BEAB8-4F11-42DF-8AB3-297A0E4E9962.jpeg
F5B9D904-5326-496F-94C8-758DD63DA159.jpeg

keephowlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Live Aquaria salt mix for over 3 years and was happy. Recently I bought a couple buckets of Reef Crystals due to price, but am unhappy with how much crap is left in my NSW reservoir. Back to Live Aquaria... When I can get a discount code or sale, it's almost the same price as Reef Crystals... Sometimes I can get a free shirt, too! Because I do AWC, I really cannot have the residue that Reef Crystals leaves behind.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with no coral with RS coral pro (I know, stupid) and then I've gone through 3 buckets of TM pro since then. Ive been frustrated with the low levels in TM pro, however. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I only get about 6.8dKH, 383ppm Ca mixed to 35ppt salinity. Considering switching to RS blue bucket or Brightwell for lower cost and hopefully higher macro concentration.
Plus the fact that you won't be able to get TM pro for a while.

jl002837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the proof switching from RC to Tropic Marin Pro. It will be over the course of the next few months as I want the change to be gradual. Looking forward to seeing the changes.
I believe this is the only way to change salt brands.
Just wondering how many people wait till the old bag of salt runs out before they add the new

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using regular IO since about 2006. Did some switching around prior to that and it made no difference. IO works for my system so I see no reason to switch unless quality, availability or cost changed materially.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
switched salt once, from red sea pro to instant ocean reef crystals. I noticed it took more salt to achieve the same salinity and went back to red sea pro. After BRS came out with their salt comparison vid I probably wont switch, unless someone came out with a salt that got the same results for a better price.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha ...Well I for one will not be taken in by this low budget market research ..LOL ...
Really tho I will live with the “brown crud: and buy the orange bucket stuff (no free plug here ha ha)
Or whatever is cheapest (I probably wouldn’t fill the tank initially with cheapo stuff)
Be advised that 1/2 cup per gallon that I/O mentions is pure fallacy (see below)

switched salt once, from red sea pro to instant ocean reef crystals. I noticed it took more salt to achieve the same salinity and went back to red sea pro. After BRS came out with their salt comparison vid I probably wont switch, unless someone came out with a salt that got the same results for a better price.

Yup ....If you want 1.025 its really 3 cup per 5Gal or thereabouts

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea blue bucket for 2 years... for the last year I have used Brightwell Neomarine with no noticable difference. I'm actually thinking of going back to Red Sea, simply because they have those cool screw on lids on their buckets.

I also will only buy a salt that mixes at 420ppm Ca and 8.0dKH alk.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used two salts in 15 years.
Kent Marine, until it became difficult to buy online. Which I absolutely loved. Then the switch to...
Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine. Availability and cost led me here.

Back