Sand Bed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I gather from the Triton Reef keeping system I need to take out my deep sand bed in the main tank and put in a 1inch sand bed. Is this correct?
I have Garden Eels in the sand now.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I gather from the Triton Reef keeping system I need to take out my deep sand bed in the main tank and put in a 1inch sand bed. Is this correct?
I have Garden Eels in the sand now.

Well, first off, I want to make sure that you're aware that you don't HAVE to do anything. The main goal of Triton is to provide aquarists with more information about what's going on in their aquaria. The "method" is based upon what has worked for Triton and the many aquarists around the world who have embraced it. You can utilize Triton's information with whatever methodology you see fit.

Thant being said, Triton recommend a very shallow sanded in the display system (like as little is a few centimeters. A classic macro algae refugium, protein skimming, and use of Phospahte removing media (alternating between an iron-based GFO and an aluminum-based GFO, as well as small amounts of activated carbon on a regular basis). Pretty straightforward stuff. As an aside, I recall reading a study some years back in which the researchers indicated that some gentrification occurs even in a very shallow (a few cm) sanded, so this is interesting!

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Thanks!

Scott

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back