Sand getting hard

LakeCityReefs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2016
Messages
103
Reaction score
51
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the top 1/4" or so of my sandbed get hard and clumpy in some areas?
 
I can think of two reasons either there is a buildup of something or there is something living in it but to be sure how abt u post a picture of your sanded
 
I would say it is normal, due corralline algae being growing on sand.
You can get this solved if you buy some extra cleanup crew for the sand bed like Nassarius Snails or also starfish something like Archaster Typicus ;)
 
Last edited:
What are you calcium and dKH? Could it be that you're precipitating calcium carbonate directly on the sand bed causing it to clump?
 
It could also be something bacteria secrete called "glycocalyx" which forms into a hard rock candy like consistency. I would remove or break up the substrate, and add some Cerith, Nassarius Vibrex snails, or even a Conch if your system is large enough. I would also consider adding this and this, especially if its a DSB.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new