Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping? Your Favorite?

Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping in a reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 450 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 81 9.6%
  • Mixed Feelings

Votes: 195 23.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 103 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's what mine is doing. She finally made a burrow in the back of the rock I put in the bowl - it has lots of tiny tunnels she can hide in.

She doesn't go for food, but she pecks at everything and I can't imagine she hasn't cleaned it up.

*fingers crossed*
I have several peaceful fish in my tank which will “teach” any finicky eaters about what is and isn’t food. It’s how I got my CBB, Tilefish, Hectors, Leopard Wrasse and Radiant Wrasse to eat more ferociously. I also don’t target feed them so they are slightly more aggressive with eating.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now I'm between Randall and Diamond LOL :dizzy-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::thinking-face:
I say go for the randall- I assume you mean Amblyeleotris randalli. If you want a sansifter, I’d recommend a Koumansetta species - Most corals and larger Valenciennea never mix well but also Valenciennea have a shorter life in captivity unless given the proper conditions which in some ways are worse than mandarins. This is assuming you don’t mean Amblyeleotris guttata and do mean the Valenciennea puellaris.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for the randall- I assume you mean Amblyeleotris randalli. If you want a sansifter, I’d recommend a Koumansetta species - Most corals and larger Valenciennea never mix well but also Valenciennea have a shorter life in captivity unless given the proper conditions which in some ways are worse than mandarins. This is assuming you don’t mean Amblyeleotris guttata and do mean the Valenciennea puellaris.
Let's go for Randall (Amblyeleotris randall)

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asks about sand sifting gobies but include a pic of a yellow watchman?

Anyway I have a Diamond Goby that is really interesting and does a nice job with the sand. Then I watched him eat my live baby Mandarin…now I don’t trust him.
Wait. WHAT?! I have been having issues keeping more than 1 Mandarin in my tank (females) and I have a Diamond Goby... could be eating them? I was told Mandarins had venom on their spines, so the other fish wouldn't eat them, but are gobies somehow immune to that?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. WHAT?! I have been having issues keeping more than 1 Mandarin in my tank (females) and I have a Diamond Goby... could be eating them? I was told Mandarins had venom on their spines, so the other fish wouldn't eat them, but are gobies somehow immune to that?
Gobies do not eat living fish, they will scavenge for food that is dead already though. They will eat the decaying leftovers of a fish but will not take on a healthy or even dying fish.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies do not eat living fish, they will scavenge for food that is dead already though. They will eat the decaying leftovers of a fish but will not take on a healthy or even dying fish.
This is false - I watched my Diamond Goby eat my baby mandarin alive. Happened right in front of me. Maybe this is very unusual, but it happened.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is false - I watched my Diamond Goby eat my baby mandarin alive. Happened right in front of me. Maybe this is very unusual, but it happened.
What species of diamond goby was it?
Gobies are NOT immune to the venom on a mandarin.

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes some can be very messy, like the YWG & tiger pistol shrimp; mine got so big they now live in the LFS display tank.
I do have 2 pairs of Yasha Gobies/Randalls pistol pairs but I wouldn't consider them sand sifting even though they burrow. My twin spot signal goby is the perfect sand sifter-moves the sand but doesn't really throw alot. But they can be hard to keep if you don't have a mature sandbed. Mine also eats frozen.
IMG_9026.jpg
I want a pair of these fish so bad but am scared to pull the trigger because I don’t want to kill them! Any advice/Tips?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a pair of these fish so bad but am scared to pull the trigger because I don’t want to kill them! Any advice/Tips?
In my experience, when my tank was young, it didn’t work and I lost a few. If your tank is mature, try to buy at your LFS so you can see them. watch to see if they are sand sifting , looking for food, or ask if they will feed it. Make sure it’s not “skinny”. I make sure to use my feed mode and use my turkey baster to get food to him to supplement what he gets from sifting.
And hopefully you will get lucky and get good ones.

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, when my tank was young, it didn’t work and I lost a few. If your tank is mature, try to buy at your LFS so you can see them. watch to see if they are sand sifting , looking for food, or ask if they will feed it. Make sure it’s not “skinny”. I make sure to use my feed mode and use my turkey baster to get food to him to supplement what he gets from sifting.
And hopefully you will get lucky and get good ones.
My tank is 7 months old how long should I wait before I try?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, some tanks mature faster than others. Even if I said wait until a year old, I could be wrong your tank might not be ready or if you added them now they could do great It’s hard to know. of course all your parameters need to be stable. And you have to have sand!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I’d recommend for Sandsifters.

Give them a nice mature 3-5” deep sandbed (5” is best and I’ll get into why I think that in a bit), by mature I mean wait atleast 2 years, 3 or 4 would be best though as these fish get their main food source from the sand, meaning if you were to feed them prepared or frozen you’d need to feed them 5-6 times a day to keep them healthy and happy. Another thing with the true Sand Sifters (I have another reply to this thread explaining what I mean by this) is how they are much more active than your average goby. Sand dwellers such as Stonogobiops, Discordipinna, Cryptocentrus are all rather slow moving and don’t swim too much if at all the same can’t be said for Valenciennea, Amblygobius, Signigobius and Koumansetta. These are all much more active and if you go with Valenciennea you will need Atleast a 4’ tank, a 6’ would be more suited IMHO.

As for the deep sand bed, I recommend this because if you think of it in the wild, the sand is extremely deep and first you have a fine layer of sand then after a fine sand layer you have where the life thrives, in that layer you’ll often find that’s where the population will breed better than in the rocks. Also it will have a cycle of the breeding layer being further down then you have the surface layer where some will emerge and can feed the Sandsifter. This is assuming You want a valenciennea species, it can also be put onto other sand sifting species too though.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, some tanks mature faster than others. Even if I said wait until a year old, I could be wrong your tank might not be ready or if you added them now they could do great It’s hard to know. of course all your parameters need to be stable. And you have to have sand!
What food do you supplement feed yours? Same thing you feed the rest of the fish, just turkey baste near it? Mine still has some work to do in my tank, but it's looking pretty clean and I want to make sure he has enough to eat. I haven't seen him go after frozen food pieces or anything yet, but then again I may just be missing it.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you supplement feed yours? Same thing you feed the rest of the fish, just turkey baste near it? Mine still has some work to do in my tank, but it's looking pretty clean and I want to make sure he has enough to eat. I haven't seen him go after frozen food pieces or anything yet, but then again I may just be missing it.
Yes, just whatever food I'm feeding to the rest of the fish, I choose a variety of frozen the usual like mysis & brine shrimp also Nano Reef Frenzy, seaweed, fish eggs and oyster eggs and every once in a while TDO pellets. The pellets were recommended by Jake at Biota when I got my male mandarin-all the fish love them.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just whatever food I'm feeding to the rest of the fish, I choose a variety of frozen the usual like mysis & brine shrimp also Nano Reef Frenzy, seaweed, fish eggs and oyster eggs and every once in a while TDO pellets. The pellets were recommended by Jake at Biota when I got my male mandarin-all the fish love them.
Ok great, thank you! I will try target feeding him a little tonight and see if he's interested. I usually alternate feeding Ocean Nutrition formula one frozen and Rod's Food. Have been trying to get my fish interested in TDO pellets, but only the clownfish have tried them - one always spits them out, lol. I bought the really small sized pellets since my clowns are still fairly small (1.5" roughly). They just seem to prefer the meatier foods. I'd really like to get them accustomed to some sort of pellet or flake though just for if I'm on vacay or something and can use an autofeeder. My bicolor blenny won't eat the pellets, but probably because he's large and in charge and prefers bigger chunks of food, lol. I've seen him take a chunk of frozen food the size of my fingernail and swallow it whole, spit it out, then swallow it again - AND I've caught him swimming by really fast and stealing food right out of my fire shrimp's little claws! Such a piggy - he's my absolute fav fish though, so much personality.

BostonBill678

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Assuming you're talking about shrimp gobies, like the Yellow Watchman, and not something like an Orange Spot Goby which doesn't typically create a cave) I have some experience with them, and bar a few quirks I and my guests love them. The symbiotic relationship between them is so fascinating to watch, and lots of my guests are drawn to them out of how unusual that relationship is. They also will ask what that loud popping sound is and are amazed to hear it is the pistol shrimp, so it's definitely been a draw to the tank. I also just love the digging behavior, so that's also a cool bonus.

The only thing I don't really love is keeping a check on their activities... I let mine settle in before I added corals in the area but I've heard several stories about smaller frags especially being buried if they're in or around the excavation site, and I've definitely found a few missing plugs as bricks in the shrimp's newest cave entrance... but with some gluing and/or a watchful eye it really isn't a problem. It's a unique bond that I think, tank setup allowing, should be a staple in most tanks!

As far as "actual" sand sifting gobies... not a fan lol. Always looking to bury corals, and I've read they're actually somewhat hard to keep
I got a sand sifter goby he burries my corals constantly.If you get one make sure you got glue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back