OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ding dang mille middle/low in my tank under an 8x54w ATI unit. Where do you have yours placed? It looks amazing!

It's about 20 inches below the surface, but below a cross brace, so not a high-intensity light area. It's also in an area that doesn't get great flow.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new camera since my house was burglarized. Unfortunately, my computer that had Lightroom on it is now owned by someone else too. Here are some new pics of my fish shot in JPG, cuz that's all I can do for now. I got a new zoom lens that I look forward to doing some macro shots with tomorrow.
P1000092.JPG

P1000405.JPG

P1000437.JPG

P1000443.JPG

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful shots Gunner. I think more frags are in my future along with photography lessons.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super dim light and blackened diodes. They still lit up, but the plastic that surrounds the chip turned black. It's pretty obvious.

I also had some fans not working, so that probably contributed to the burnt diodes. The red wire that goes into the fans gets oxidized by the salty air and the connection is lost. I was able to solder a couple, but I need to replace quite a few. Ocean Revive's customer service is really responsive and I'm just going to get the fans from them. The will sell them to me for nearly free.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super dim light and blackened diodes. They still lit up, but the plastic that surrounds the chip turned black. It's pretty obvious.

I also had some fans not working, so that probably contributed to the burnt diodes. The red wire that goes into the fans gets oxidized by the salty air and the connection is lost. I was able to solder a couple, but I need to replace quite a few. Ocean Revive's customer service is really responsive and I'm just going to get the fans from them. The will sell them to me for nearly free.
Thanks! I did a thorough check last night and didn't see any dim ones in the bunch. I'll keep periodically checking and appreciate the heads up!

I've replaced 4 fans now over 5 fixtures in the last 2 years. I went ahead and bought 10 fans the last time I ordered, super cheap, and the customer service lady asked me twice if I really wanted 10. I said according to my calculations, yes, because I'll need to reorder in 3 years at this rate. [emoji4]

But if that's the only thing I have to do on these fixtures, I have no complaints at all compared to the pricing of other LED fixtures out there.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I did a thorough check last night and didn't see any dim ones in the bunch. I'll keep periodically checking and appreciate the heads up!

I've replaced 4 fans now over 5 fixtures in the last 2 years. I went ahead and bought 10 fans the last time I ordered, super cheap, and the customer service lady asked me twice if I really wanted 10. I said according to my calculations, yes, because I'll need to reorder in 3 years at this rate. [emoji4]

But if that's the only thing I have to do on these fixtures, I have no complaints at all compared to the pricing of other LED fixtures out there.

The fans themselves don't go bad. It's the corrosion of the red wire where it attaches to the fan. I'm putting a little dab of silicone over that area before I install the new ones. Should last forever or close to it after this.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fans themselves don't go bad. It's the corrosion of the red wire where it attaches to the fan. I'm putting a little dab of silicone over that area before I install the new ones. Should last forever or close to it after this.
Ahhh, great tip. I'll have to do that as well. Anybody need 10 fans? [emoji12]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you get them replaced?

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I spent a whole day fixing my lights. Today, I spent the whole day syphoning all of the sand out of my DT. I replaced it with the really coarse gravel that's been in my sump for about three years. It's big chunks of shells and live rock.

I did this to get a different look, to crank up my flow and avoid bare spots, to keep my sump more clean, and because I think the coarse gravel will be really easy to vacuum. Also, I don't think my triggers will pick up and crop dust this stuff as much.

I know people say this type of substrate is a detritus trap, but with how often I vacuum my gravel, I'm not worried about it.

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

Back