Scavengers for a sandless tank?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Messages
2,379
Reaction score
55
Location
San Diego, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank is a 30 gallon tank, sandless, with most of the frags sitting on a 6" eggcrate rack. Sumpless with just hang-on/canister filtration, and a tunze 9002 skimmer.
Would like to establish a little better scavenger/clean-up crew than what I currently have, but I am not to keen on hermit crabs with their penchant for knocking over/off frags on the rack.
So main critter I'm thinking of is a cuke or two, but how well will they fair in a bare-bottom tank?

any other fellers to help out?
 
Define CUC.... detritus... algae... meatyface.... bacterial...

I don't quite know what you mean by meatyface and bacterial?

I was thinking of a cucumber like a tiger or similar to much through the food and possible dead algae detritus-hope that helps
 
You can avoid detritus and what not in a bare bottom tank by adding flow to the lower section of the tank.. i.e. lay a powerhead in the bottom corner(s)
 
yea, the tank has 3 K1s, a Tunze Surface skimmer, and an eheim 2213-and it's only a 30 gallon tank. I'm reluctant to start blasting more flow than what it's already getting, and it's not so much any particular area encountering piles, as much as just a smattering everywhere
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new