Schnitzel's SPS

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schnitzel, I am dealing with the same thing. I had a recent outbreak of cyano because I neglected to do a water change for 2-2.5 months. However, I read somewhere that performing more frequent and smaller water changes was the answer while siphoning as much cyano as possible.

I usually do 50 gallon water changes once a month to my 200 gallon tank and decided to do 20-25 gallon water changes bi-weekly. Since I did this, I have no cyano on my sand bed but there is still very little on rocks. I was about to use red slime remover but thought I would give this a try first and the results are my tank is improving and the cyano is receding. I did see a little bit of green hair algae patches towards the back of my tank on my gravel grow but its much better than the horrendous cyano and easier to siphon out. I plan to remove those green fuzz balls this weekend.

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbrites only
78d8c9928ce253011271e88513db4139.jpg

b6e34bc048ea26dba046d06ded4329b9.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to decide what kind of lighting I want to do on my new system, but this thread has solved it. I was considering doing a combo of T5, Reefbrite, and Radions vs just going with all T5's and Reefbrites (which I have run before). After seeing this thread, the decision is clear. How many bulbs do you run and how many radions? I was thinking of doing 8 bulbs on a 30" wide tank, or should I go with 10?

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I think he only runs with 2 48" 8 bulb ATIs, 2 XHO 48" Reefbrites, and removed the radions ages ago.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, i just moved towns and upgraded to close to the same dimensions. Your coral are beautiful, wish i was closer so i could come see it in person.

What are you taking photos with i notice a cell phone on some and a filter, but what kind of filter? Thanks! Take care

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I had some RTN going on in my tank. 3 different colonies were affected. I sent some water in to Triton, and everything looks pretty normal. I did 3-40g water changes, and the RTN stopped. I wish I knew exactly what caused it, but in this hobby that seems impossible. This was the first time since I started this tank 4 years that I’ve had this happen.

Here’s my triton results.
84f6912797d5d0f554b75d71b528b23f.jpg

8776ac8d14015f8431d07e87c90c396b.jpg

98f2289e19d9aa98af1d798e4ac4b0d8.jpg

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SchnitzelReef, would you recommend the Actinic Blue Tech(6 LEDs per foot) or the Actinic Blue XHO (12 LEDs per foot) for MH supplements?
Great question, I’ve been wondering this myself. I do know, the LEDs in each fixture are the same, there is just more of them (like you stated). I feel the answer to your question really depends on the tank, for a shallow tank like I have I feel the tech strip does a great job, however a deeper tank you may want to use the xho. Some have said that the spread is better with the xho but believe me, these fixtures don’t have a problem when it comes to spread! Now, I will say during peak lighting with the fixture you’re supplementing, I don’t think you’ll visually see much difference in appearance, as the LED gets washed out with heavy white of T5 or MH. I use the tech LEDs on the ramp up and ramp down period and it does great, my corals really pop with the LED and that’s what I was looking for. I hope my opinion helped you a little bit!

The super high Lithium was not considered as a possible reason for the tissue necrosis?
I’ve read articles in the past about Lithium in the reef tank, and I believe it’s usually added by supplementing calcium and alkalinity with calcium chloride or can be found in some salt mixes. From what I remember his level isn’t really abnormally high for most reefers, and hasn’t known to be a reason for RTN or anything negative in SPS or LPS.
Now, I would assume like anything else in a reef tank, the fast stuff is usually bad, so if something caused the Lithium to jump that high quickly then I’m sure that could possibly cause RTN.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with some random rtn as well. Can't exactly figure out what caused it as most of my Acro's are happy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back