OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to stop by and check the build out, looks awesome! But, I am hesitant to think you are dealing with a Hair Algae outbreak, it almost looks like something else. Hard to be sure though.

I can try and get a closer picture of some of it if that would help for identification?

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be worth it, always good to properly identify the issue you are trying to tackle ;Bookworm :)
I attached some example photos below

Attachments

• _1040179.JPG
    _1040179.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 48
  • _1040178.JPG
    _1040178.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 41
  • _1040176.JPG
    _1040176.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 43
  • _1040175.JPG
    _1040175.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 42
  • _1040174.JPG
    _1040174.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 46

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuck, I've heard of that one. Would dosing Vibrant help, in conjunction with my water changes?

I am honestly not 100% sure, I probably wouldn't go dosing right off the bat. You're going to have to do a little legwork on this one because I have not had any personal experience dealing with it. I do know it can be beat though so don't it let you get your hopes down, you have a beautiful reef in the making right now.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly not 100% sure, I probably wouldn't go dosing right off the bat. You're going to have to do a little legwork on this one because I have not had any personal experience dealing with it. I do know it can be beat though so don't it let you get your hopes down, you have a beautiful reef in the making right now.
Sounds good. I'll take it slow and keep doing water changes. And thanks! :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I'll take it slow and keep doing water changes. And thanks! :)

Do a little research, pull some off when you are doing Water changes, hit it with hydrogen peroxide (Small amounts) when doing that it might make it easier to pull out. And try and remember that, as much as we hate it in our tanks, Algae is natural and the ocean is full of it.:)

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached some example photos below
Might be bryopsis. I don’t think you’ll have luck with Vibrant if it is. I think people are having luck with Fluconazole. Reef Flux is a brand name. Do a search and see if you think that’s what you have. Peroxide knocks it back but i personally never got it eradicated with peroxide. Ymmv.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Brightwell's MicroBacter7 per someone's suggestion. We'll see if my refugium is successful in outcompeting the bryopsis over the next month or so. Dosed fluconazole to combat the bryopsis too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Banggai Cardinalfish died today. I'm not sure how or why, but he had been floating near the bottom lately and not eating. Found my cleaner shrimp picking at him this morning. I'm wondering if the fluconazole had anything to do with it.

I'm now at 3 fish and will likely be placing a liveaquaria order next week. My local fish stores aren't the best and most fish I've tried from them haven't survived more than a week. Anyone have any suggestions for 2 new fish? I'm leaning toward anything captive bred from Biota or ORA

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. My mangroves weren't fairing well and I was unable to keep them. I suspect due to the lack of full spectrum lighting. I cut back on this to combat the byopsis. I may try to replace the mangroves at a later point once my tank is more mature.

IMG_0282.JPEG

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are consistently dropping due to my refugium, which is good to see. My phosphates are sitting at around 0.2 and rising. I'm reducing some feeding and doing my best to hold off on a water change so that the fluconazole can finish. I have to wait another week to week and a half. Then I'll re-dose if it still hasn't killed off all of the bryopsis

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are consistently dropping due to my refugium, which is good to see. My phosphates are sitting at around 0.2 and rising. I'm reducing some feeding and doing my best to hold off on a water change so that the fluconazole can finish. I have to wait another week to week and a half. Then I'll re-dose if it still hasn't killed off all of the bryopsis
Looking forward to see results of fluconazole. it’s frustrating when nitrate is dropping but phosphate isn’t. I have had issues with not enough nitrate. Dosing nitrate led to phosphate dropping.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed a lot of the overgrown anthelia and man does that suck to remove lol. My nano arch is supposed to arrive Thursday, but who knows anymore with Fedex. I will then be adding a red montipora digi, a purple stylophora, some sort of montipora cap, and a green pavona. The plan is to mount the arch across the middle over the cove and have the new SPS frags off to the top right side in the high flow.

Also, I plan to add an ORA orchid dottyback and an ORA blenny. The new arch should provide enough space so that both fish have spots to hide

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something must've been wrong with the listing, because I got a 4 pack of the nano arches on Chewy for $25. I assumed it was a single arch

GIF by yvngswag

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something must've been wrong with the listing, because I got a 4 pack of the nano arches on Chewy for $25. I assumed it was a single arch

GIF by yvngswag
that’s a nice deal. Man made rock is generally overpriced. You can make it look like a hot wheels track!

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of today's update

I added the arch and will upload a better picture tomorrow once I glue it down more. I have 3 more SPS frags arriving tomorrow that I will also add.

Finally, I am considering adding a Deresa clam with the 2 additional fish I will be ordering. I'm just trying to figure out if my lighting is strong enough.

Back