Schreiba's 83g Miracles Rimless

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after having an ADA 60-f (~8 gallons) for over a year and a half, I've really wanted to go a little bit bigger...

I purchased/received this tank from Miracles back in November 2011 and have been slowly completing this build to get it where I want. All I really have left to buy at this point is a new sump in order to fit my Avast CS-1 skimmer. Here's the details:

Tank: Miracles Rimless 40x24x20 with starphire front panel
Sump: Custom built Advanced Acrylics 24x14x14
Return Pump: Mag7
Water Movement: MP40ES
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-110
Floating Canopy: 250W MH Lumenmax Elite reflector with Icecap ballast and 20k radium bulb; 36" VHO retrofit kit with UV Super Actinic bulbs; 12 RapidLED DIY kit with all RB LEDs
Controller: Apex Aquacontroller
ATO: Tunze Osmolator
Dosing: Bubble Magnus with Avast Dosing Barrels
Filtration: Filter sock + chaeto + TLF phosban reactor 150 with carbon

So far I have two Barlett's Anthias (want to pickup one more) and a female swallowtail angelfish (I know she'll eventually outgrow the tank). I'm not completely set on what else to add but I'm considering a pair or trio of reef-safe wrasse and/or 4-5 apogon leptacanthus. This tank was originally being setup for 90% SPS but chalices and zoas have really been growing on me lately especially after seeing all the great chalices here on R2R. My newest plan is SPS near the center under the halide and chalices and zoas on the edges under the RB LEDs. Let me know what you think! :)

This was the initial plan:

Beginning of the canopy build before the tank arrived:

New tank next to the old one:

First few fish:

Nearly completed build:

FTS from 3/6/13 (LEDs not yet installed in the canopy):

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome tank!! I can't wait for more photos!

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What'd you use to skin the canopy?? Same question on the stand. Set up looks awesome!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice great job.:angel:

renoeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a cadlights with the exact same dimensions! Sweet tank!

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What'd you use to skin the canopy?? Same question on the stand. Set up looks awesome!!

Thanks Albeez! The canopy is skinned with a thin layer of concrete. I used a product called Ardex SD-M. The large front panel of the stand is a custom made cabinet door and the rest I built using and is painted flat white.
Very nice great job.:angel:
Thanks mike!

It makes me hate you a bit because of how good your pics are lol Jk, really though beautiful pics and tank
:smile: Thanks rajkovich!

How did you make your Canopy have a metal look to it?
It's actually concrete not metal. For the concrete finish, I used a product called Ardex SD-M which can be applied in very thin layers so not much additional weight was added to the fixture. I used acrylic sheets clamped down to the wet concrete to give it the polished finish (this was probably the 6th method I used before I finally got it how I wanted) and then used a chisel to clean up the edges. I should have taken more pictures of the process and written up a detailed DIY on it. If you're going to give it a try feel free to send me a PM or post in here with more questions.

I just picked up a cadlights with the exact same dimensions! Sweet tank!
Awesome!! I really do love these dimensions and have no regrets.

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wood did you use to skin it. I love how you left that open line about 4 inches below the top of the stand. Nice touch.

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wood did you use to skin it. I love how you left that open line about 4 inches below the top of the stand. Nice touch.

Thanks Albeez! The top section you're talking about I believe is oak finishing boards. All I had to do was cut them to the right length with a 45 degree angles. The side door is cabinet grade plywood and is held on with magnets.

Your pics are magnificent! I really love the look of your stand and canopy.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually talking about the bottom part. I'm about to skin my stand, Home Depot closed today in Boston because of the bombing suspect but tomorrow when it opens I'm going to get the rest of the supplies to finish the stand. Not sure i have a saw to do the 45 degree cut but could probably pick one up.i just have a power hand saw. This is all practice on the 30 gallon I have until I move into my new house and get the big boy I want.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1366412655.702509.jpg

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually talking about the bottom part. I'm about to skin my stand, Home Depot closed today in Boston because of the bombing suspect but tomorrow when it opens I'm going to get the rest of the supplies to finish the stand. Not sure i have a saw to do the 45 degree cut but could probably pick one up.i just have a power hand saw. This is all practice on the 30 gallon I have until I move into my new house and get the big boy I want.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1366412655.702509.jpg

Yeah I mean that looks very similar to what I started with. If you look in my original post, the third picture down where you can see my old tank, you can see how that 4" frame is tacked onto the structural part of the stand. For the large doors, I ran a small strip of wood along the bottom as something to prop the doors and get them to the right height for that gap that runs along between the framing and the doors. I also have magnets running along the top to hold the doors in place. If you have anymore specific questions feel free to ask!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back