Scolys and sand sifters

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow hobbyists.

So I messed up, what else is new lol[emoji23]. I’ve been casually looking for a fish for my little 5.5g LPS tank. I was pretty set on a dotty back, they have colour and the wrasse look, without getting ridiculously big. Today when I was at my lfs I saw a “jester goby”. He was odd looking, I’d never seen one. Was really out front, a middle of the tank type swimmer and looked just like a wrasse!! I looked it up quickly on live aquaria: reef safe, nano fish. Sold. Let’s go.

Get it home, and... it likes my prized scolys. It’s thrown small amounts of sand on them and I’m worried because I don’t want to harm my prized bleeding apple and the war paint is a rescue that is slowly healing.
cca51d037be57e0be17b4f7694ae3efa.jpg
59a211e65ab3e8fc98e885099be6c19e.jpg

Is there anything I can do that will make the scolys and the goby co exist in harmony? Maybe angle the scolys up so the sand would slide off?

Sometimes lessons are only learned by messing up lol

Here’s some pics

adcd40e5fa8883ea75beb62719e0a5df.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow hobbyists.

So I messed up, what else is new lol[emoji23]. I’ve been casually looking for a fish for my little 5.5g LPS tank. I was pretty set on a dotty back, they have colour and the wrasse look, without getting ridiculously big. Today when I was at my lfs I saw a “jester goby”. He was odd looking, I’d never seen one. Was really out front, a middle of the tank type swimmer and looked just like a wrasse!! I looked it up quickly on live aquaria: reef safe, nano fish. Sold. Let’s go.

Get it home, and... it likes my prized scolys. It’s thrown small amounts of sand on them and I’m worried because I don’t want to harm my prized bleeding apple and the war paint is a rescue that is slowly healing.
cca51d037be57e0be17b4f7694ae3efa.jpg
59a211e65ab3e8fc98e885099be6c19e.jpg

Is there anything I can do that will make the scolys and the goby co exist in harmony? Maybe angle the scolys up so the sand would slide off?

Sometimes lessons are only learned by messing up lol

Here’s some pics

adcd40e5fa8883ea75beb62719e0a5df.jpg
Feel your pain; I end up blowing sand off my three scolys just about every day. It does keep detritus from settling and provides "reef snow" for food. I have tried moving scolys up on rocks, but they don't seem to thrive like they do in sand on the bottom.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that I can think of is to move the scoly away from the cave that the goby has seemed to claim.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a golden head goby in my 240 with two scolys. At one point he buried one so bad, before I could get home it killed some of the outer tissue. I have since moved it up higher on a rock and it’s healing just fine. As far as moving it well good luck lol. The other scoly and my Miami hurricane he buries all the time constantly. So daily I have to use a turkey baster and clean them off. It does help with detritus and what not and also helps keep cyano at bay as well. So depends on the goby. Mine claims the whole sandbed in my 240 so it’s just something I’m use to.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give that a shot. Thanks! Otherwise he’s going on a trip to my dads tank[emoji23]

Hello,

I would move it a few times and see if he follows. To be honest it’s not a terrible idea to move the coral around. One some gobies will only stay and filter in one section (they have territory), so by moving this they clean the whole tank. The second also helps reduce (if you add a second, most must be mated a pair) issues with territoies since one already moves all over. With that said most only go with mated pairs.

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll move the scolys where the plate coral is and put the plate Coral in the middle. The leathers I’ll put where the scolys were. Hopefully he stays away from my scolys after that!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would do everything above but mess with the plate coral. They are pretty sensitive, and honestly every time I have moved my plate coral I had sadly killed it. Those are the only corals I simply can’t keep alive

Back