Scopas Tang - Changing Colors!!

Shaych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
The last couple of nights I've gotten home from work pretty late and the lights are off in the tank (not completely, at 1% so its not pitch black.) I've noticed that my Scopas Tang is a different color pattern at night! during the day his front half is yellow/blue ish and is back half is black, but at night he turns almost a translucent silver and theres a squigly reflective horizontal stripe down his side! It's so bizarre. Has anyone else noticed this? I've looked for pics all over the internet, but I can't find anything similar. I will try to take a pic of him tonight, but he doesn't come out very much at night :( Does anyone else know anything about this? or have pics?? Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the beauty of the scopas tang, and you can't capture it in a pic. It's a combination of the lighting and their mood. Mine is a combo of orange and black to a lavender and black at night with squiggly lines all over.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal and happens with other tangs and fish as well. In scopas and yellow tangs they go lighter, for the yellows it makes them look white with a yellow sheen and scopas are white/silver with a sheen of brown.
It because they don't need to show off their colours at night but it also makes them blend in with rockwork.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back