Scraping Cyphastrea off glass?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cyphastrea on the bare bottom of a tank that is encrusting nicely. That is what I wanted it to do it so that's fine. However I have a flat rock area in a valley that is bare and I would like to place an encrusting coral there. Is there any chance I could scrape part of this one off the glass and place it on the rock or would it just crumble? I have a couple of encrusting monti frags but the area I'm looking to fill spends a lot of time partially shaded from the large red nem higher in the tank that is the centerpiece.

20220320_113133.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as I try to keep some sort of base under mine. Gorgeous!!!!

It seems rather fragile and scraping may just damage it, but you could put the scrapings on a bare rock/rubble and see if it grows. Never know.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you could try cutting the edge then scraping some bits off it I'm sure that wouldn't hurt it any.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one if the most successful corals that I have grown from a frag . I glued the original frag onto a rock that gave it its shape. It's probably 5 inches accross not counting the eccrusted part and 3 inches tall. Thinking about it after all my failures I should probably leave this one alone and just pick up a frag of a different color.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it personally. Cyphastrea and encrusters don't always get the love they deserve, and it adds a nice contrast to the fleshy lps next to it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back