Seachem Matrix for QT use

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my never-ending quest to find more effective biological filtration for QT use, I decided to give Seachem Matrix a try. Using Matrix inside the Seachem Tidal HOB powerfilter, I tested for copper absorption using Cupramine, Coppersafe & Copper Power in 3 different tanks. To my amazement, absorption was almost nonexistent. :eek: Only a very slight drop w/Cupramine (0.5 ppm) and no noticeable change with the two chelated coppers (2.0 ppm). I used the Chemetrics copper test kit to test all 3 tanks, before & after: https://www.chemetrics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392

So, next I reached out to Seachem about this and below is their response:
Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your email. Matrix is a completely inert substance that provides housing for beneficial bacteria. It should not remove any medication from the water column.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,

Seachem Support 10286

Does anyone else have an experience to share regarding Seachem Matrix??

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next stage of this experiment will be putting Seachem Matrix in a media reactor and running that on a tank dosed with copper for 30 continuous days. I'll test Cupramine, Coppersafe & Copper Power on different QTs. If 30 days inside a media reactor doesn't pull any of the copper out, then I will be convinced. ;)

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting findings. I've been using Matrix for years in QT and have found it to be a highly effective substrate for nitrifying bacteria. I always "start fresh" with a clean, sanitized QT for any new additions and rely on Biospira to quickly cycle the QT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting findings. I've been using Matrix for years in QT and have found it to be a highly effective substrate for nitrifying bacteria. I always "start fresh" with a clean, sanitized QT for any new additions and rely on Biospira to quickly cycle the QT.

Have you noticed any copper absorption with Matrix? I'm hoping this will turn out to be a "QT friendly" bio media we can recommend, in addition to using a sponge. To help folks combat ammonia issues in QT.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use copper all that often, as my fish population has been pretty stable over the past couple years (and most of the fish I've introduced have been wrasses). On the occasions I did use copper, I never noticed any particular challenges keeping the concentration stable.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good experiment Bobby. I'll be following watching the results. A harder to find alternative may be siporax which is made from sintered glass.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of these two Fluval bio products. Works good. Small mesh bag, mix of the two products, soak with BioSpira. Sits on top of my foam pad in my Aquaclear HOB. Very clean water. Never noticed any absorption problems with copper. Ammonia? What ammonia?

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.35.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.37.19 AM.png

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the experience using Matrix and Cupramine but I had the same answer from Seachem.

Hello Soren,

Thank you for your email. Nope! It is just fine to use Matrix BioMedia with Cupramine.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

cheers

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff everyone. Let's keep experimenting with Matrix, Biomax, etc. so we can find more suitable bio media that can be used in a QT environment.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I haven't had to treat any of my fish yet, I have been using Matrix in the baskets of Fluval hang on filters for my fish and coral QT tanks.
I put some in a bag and throw it in my sump. Whenever I need more I pull some out. When I add fish to that QT I'll add some BioSpira at the start just in case and use one of Seachem's ammonia badges.

I have some fish in QT now. Added them yesterday as a matter of fact. Noticed a little quick breathing tonight and I'm watchimg closely for any sigh that I need to do something, I have meds on hand.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend Marine Pure Spheres over Matrix/Biomax?
Marine Pure Spheres are very soft and fragile. In my application I fill a mesh bag with Biomax and place on top of the foam filter pad. So the mesh bag has to be removed every few days to rinse the foam pad that's underneath. Moving the mesh bag and rinsing it a bit is fine with Biomax, but Marine Pure is so soft and crumbly, I'd hesitate to use it in a HOB filter. Now in the sump it's ok.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have not yet.
I used an 8x8x1 MarinePure plate in my QT. When I had to dose meds there was a tremendous bacterial bloom. I suspect it was because the plate doesn’t allow rapid water flow. Like matrix or biomax does in the HOB with the rapid water flowing through the filter. It turned into a big blob of green slime on one side. Big mess. Lesson learned.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an 8x8x1 MarinePure plate in my QT. When I had to dose meds there was a tremendous bacterial bloom. I suspect it was because the plate doesn’t allow rapid water flow. Like matrix or biomax does in the HOB with the rapid water flowing through the filter. It turned into a big blob of green slime on one side. Big mess. Lesson learned.
Thanks good to know. I am looking forward to the results of running the matrix in a reactor.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back