ericguzman49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of seahorse that have been doing really well in my tank swimming around and doing fine. They’ve been nipping at the live rock for copepods. But recently I started noticing that one of them will curl its tail up and seemingly scratch or pick at his head. I also watched him rub his head against the wood earlier. I’m thinking there is a parasite or even ich situation. What is the recommended ways to treat seahorses? I’m thinking doing a freshwater dip and then do hyposalinity. Or should I go with a medication? Here’s a picture of what he looks like. Any advice? Both are swimming and going around the tank

2367B1C9-CA14-4013-ADCD-A30CB7EA2E40.jpeg

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dip is a great way to treat parasites and many other ailments in seahorses. Just make sure you run an airline while using it. Also only use it in a hospital tank or container. It will destroy your biological filter.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are aquacultured apparently when I got them
At a local store, I have seen aquacultured seahorses coming in from the farm with large fish lice (Argulus) on them.
Flukes (Capsalidae, a family of monogenean flatworms) are also quite possible in open aquaculture systems.
Do a thorough inspection of them with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything on them that shouldn't be there. Be aware that those things may not be easy to spot for the untrained eye so inspect any anomaly with extra scrutiny.

OP
OP
ericguzman49

ericguzman49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a local store, I have seen aquacultured seahorses coming in from the farm with large fish lice (Argulus) on them.
Flukes (Capsalidae, a family of monogenean flatworms) are also quite possible in open aquaculture systems.
Do a thorough inspection of them with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything on them that shouldn't be there. Be aware that those things may not be easy to spot for the untrained eye so inspect any anomaly with extra scrutiny.
Thank you, that’s a good idea; I’ll inspect them closer for any signs!

OP
OP
ericguzman49

ericguzman49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dip is a great way to treat parasites and many other ailments in seahorses. Just make sure you run an airline while using it. Also only use it in a hospital tank or container. It will destroy your biological filter.
Do you have a recommended formalin product?

OP
OP
ericguzman49

ericguzman49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: I did a freshwater dip on the seahorse pair but almost immediately they really stressed, thrashing around and trying to swim up and out. I was only able to keep them there for about 6 minutes since they started to lay on their side towards the end. I immediately put them back in their tank. It took a bit but they finally recovered and back to swimming around. Im wondering if perhaps there’s another method? Is Rally effective for this kind of thing?

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dips are alot less stressful
I just ordered some off of amazon

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%