Seasons greeting montipora

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora is dieing. What can i do to help?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Spammie33

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are fine I did I water test a few days ago, always do consistent water changes all corals are happy they just look closed because I had the lights down low and I turned them on to take the picture. The monti was happy for the first few days then I noticed it had fallen overnight, after I put it back in its spot I noticed the color fading. I don’t know if it was that or it could’ve been affected by the aqua stick I used on the bottom to make it hold on the rock. Any similar experiences?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may not be sufficient light for montis. They love light. What brand, size and wattage?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By lighting, what lighting do you suggest?
By lightning I'm saying

1) you're either pushing too much PAR

OR

2) Your lights have aged and have color shifted towards the red spectrum

Hard to say without a lot more detail

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all black boxes are the same and 3 over a 5 ft tank may not be enough.
That’s fair enough. But most are. I kept 1 15 inches over a 40 breeder and grew millipora stylo Monty digitata cap and undata. He could have some dim spots with that but he very well could have hot spots, like really hot.

and after all, all of this is speculation until op posts Parms and looks at his par.

OP
OP
Spammie33

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By lightning I'm saying

1) you're either pushing too much PAR

OR

2) Your lights have aged and have color shifted towards the red spectrum

Hard to say without a lot more detail
I usually leave one blue led light at night and in the morning turn on blues and little whites then a few hours later then up the whites, and in the evening go back to 3 lights lit blue. Any suggestions to make the monti happier?

OP
OP
Spammie33

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fair enough. But most are. I kept 1 15 inches over a 40 breeder and grew millipora stylo Monty digitata cap and undata. He could have some dim spots with that but he very well could have hot spots, like really hot.

and after all, all of this is speculation until op posts Parms and looks at his par.
I think the lighting is sufficient, all my corals are happy I spot feed them and they are all growing more and more each week some of my hammers even started splitting etc

OP
OP
Spammie33

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ma be honest, none of your coral in that pic look happy. What are your parameters? Looks like some bad algae growth over your rock too. Wouldn’t be surprised if your phosphates were off.
They weren’t happy because I just moved them. I have a few other monti’s that have grown well. This is the first time a monti has acted this way. What can be the issue

OP
OP
Spammie33

Spammie33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, that doesn’t look like a seasons greeting monti. They are typically all teal green with red polyps.
It is. Just bad camera work. Other monti’s have grown fine here but this one I’m having issues with

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is sufficient, all my corals are happy I spot feed them and they are all growing more and more each week some of my hammers even started splitting etc
My seasons greetings hated low
Nutrients and would begin to dull in color if I ran my chaeto lights 24 hrs a day. My tank looked very similar to that before I put a timer in the grow light. I had a thing algae film on my rocks and my montis would brown out. Test your nitrates and double check your phosphates. Maybe even take a water sample to a trusted legs and have them run the big three along with nitrate and phosphate to verify your test kits.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back