OP
C

clippo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that was one of my candidates but none of the fuscus images I've seen show any spots, or red dorsal hue. Wonder if maybe it could be an age thing...

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonder if this could also be a C. pylei ....

IMG_5733.jpg

possibly a female too?

MG_1553.jpg
Top one is C. briangreenei, the bottom one is a female C. pylei

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top one is C. briangreenei, the bottom one is a female C. pylei
I knew they would be one of the two, wasn’t sure which one looked like which though. It’s a pain it’s not still C. cf pylei and changed to C. briangreenei

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love it! best thing would be to comment against an image on my site really as there are quite a few. It's gonna take me forever to post them all on here (although I'll keep doing so when I can). If I've got any of them wrong I'd be open to ideas :)
I checked out your site. Beautiful pictures! Did you take all of them?

I commented on a few wrasses on your site :)

OP
OP
C

clippo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your site. Beautiful pictures! Did you take all of them?

Thanks! Yep sure did :) I've been taking stock photos for a variety of shops in the North West UK since around 2003. Sometimes on a weekly basis. Also worked with lots of other reef companies and organisations. I edit UltraMarine magazine also incidentally.

Thanks for input on the site also... much appreciated! I hope I've managed to include all the updates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clippo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve given a few more IDs in some of the wrasses, hope it helps you some more :)

cheers. Input is most appreciated!

Just on the jawfish suggestion you posted... I did some digging around and found an old image that could possibly be a clearer candidate for O. rufilineatus. Funnily enough, I noticed that someone had "appropriated" this image and used it in a thread on another forum... see here, about half way down (this is definitely my image... I have several more shots of that fish. I photographed it in March 2007 at "AquaWord", a shop in the UK... no longer trading unfortunately). It's funny as the poster even claims they've never heard of the fish making it to the UK! :D

IMG_5542opt.jpg

If this fish is indeed O. rufilineatus, it does appear to look quite different to the one I had tentitively IDd as O. whitehursti.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheers. Input is most appreciated!

Just on the jawfish suggestion you posted... I did some digging around and found an old image that could possibly be a clearer candidate for O. rufilineatus. Funnily enough, I noticed that someone had "appropriated" this image and used it in a thread on another forum... see here, about half way down (this is definitely my image... I have several more shots of that fish. I photographed it in March 2007 at "AquaWord", a shop in the UK... no longer trading unfortunately). It's funny as the poster even claims they've never heard of the fish making it to the UK! :D

IMG_5542opt.jpg

If this fish is indeed O. rufilineatus, it does appear to look quite different to the one I had tentitively IDd as O. whitehursti.
I think the whitehursti you labelled is very similar to the rufilineatus I owned and the one pictured looks like the same species (Rufilineatus). When I go to my LFS since I know they have a red and a whitehursti in so I’ll grab some photos of both.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny how they say they’ve never heard of a red over here, my first three jawfish were a yellow head and two reds (Separate times of course). Certainly underrated, I actually think the red pictured as whitehursti is a juvenile and the red pictured above is the adult. I’m between the yellow head, red and whitehursti as my next jawfish but now I’m leaning towards the red due to the adult vs juvenile change in colouration.

OP
OP
C

clippo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting those. I think this matches my assessment of each species. I think the whitehursti on my site looks very like the one above. A bit redder obviously. The patterning on the flanks looks very similar.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheers.. thought so. How about this one?

Pseudanthias-sp.-2.jpg
I don’t actually know unfortunately, however that male iridis photo is making me jealous, wish mine would transition but the Jade is taking his sweet time to transition.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back