Seeking Opinions Choosing Fluval 13.5 light

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I started my first aquarium about 4 months ago now and have been building up to add coral.
I have a fluval 13.5 and am trying to decide on a light right now. I purchased 2 additional LED bars that I hooked up along side the 13.5's original light and I can't stand the shimmer it is making.

I am trying to decide between the kessil a160we or AI Prime. I think the Kessil is what I want because they are known for the good shimmer but I have heard that AI has improved the shimmer over the years. I am not sure if I can trust that though. However, I want the savings the prime offers because I have an IM 50 gallon tank I will be setting up after a few more months(Fluval 13.5 will keep all its gear and remain running).

I would like the fluval to have a real dark blue/UV lighting to it for the best fluorescence and I'm not sure if the Kessil will be able to do that but the shimmer is the bigger deal to me.

Another thing I am considering is if I get a Kessil Id probably want the controller too to try and get the fluorescence i want and that would make it about $360. For 65 more I could get an ecotech xr15 g5 which is being clearance out everywhere.

Any opinions from experienced reefers is much appreciated! thanks!!

20220702_110940[1].jpg

20220702_110940[1].jpg

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a kessil (a360we) and an an AI Prime. Kessil shimmer is better, prime controllability is better. At least with the version of kessil I have. I don't think you will be disappointed with either light. They are both great.

Edit: the enhanced controllability of the prime and lower price is really something to consider. There will be plenty of opportunities to spend your money. Maybe pick up a used prime and save money for corals.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a kessil (a360we) and an an AI Prime. Kessil shimmer is better, prime controllability is better. At least with the version of kessil I have. I don't think you will be disappointed with either light. They are both great.

Edit: the enhanced controllability of the prime and lower price is really something to consider. There will be plenty of opportunities to spend your money. Maybe pick up a used prime and save money for corals.
Thanks for the input. Everyone seems to say the Kessils aren't that controllable. Does the primes shimmer not really bother you? Do you use a diffuser or anything? With the savings the prime offers you're probably right and I can go bigger on the 50 gallon.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160we as well as xho 15” reefbrite bars and love the combo

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Everyone seems to say the Kessils aren't that controllable. Does the primes shimmer not really bother you? Do you use a diffuser or anything? With the savings the prime offers you're probably right and I can go bigger on the 50 gallon.
It shimmers enough. it’s not like a kessil, but it’s not like T5s either. I really don’t think you will be disappointed.

I love both lights they are different but both great. I do not use a diffuser on my prime, but I do own one. It came with a lampshade I bought for it to keep my kid from staring into it.

I run the kessil a360we on my 15 gallon sps/mixed reef and love the results. I did not buy it for this tank— it was leftover from another build. I run the prime on a 15 gallon zoa garden And love that too. the lights are set to 50% intensity on both tanks. I run the kessil using an apex, which I use for on/off control. The dawn/dusk simulation on the prime is cute, but not really needed.

I really like the app on the prime. I think some people may love it less, but I love that I can control my Nero pump and my prime with the same (good) app.

I think you will love either one of these lights. My suggestion is to see which one you can buy cheaply used in your area.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer the kessil. You don't get as much violet pop but its undeniably a better built light. You will get less light spill on that size tank (using a kessil) as they are able to be mounted closer to the water than the AI's without getting hotspot issues. The radion is a good choice too but overkill and won't give you the same shimmer as a kessil. I don't think the controller will make the a160we more violet like it does with the x series but maybe (I would see others opinions on that but I believe color at 0% on the kessils is pretty much no white light)

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160we as well as xho 15” reefbrite bars and love the combo
Hmm, my led bars seem to be what make the shimmer that is bothering me. Did adding them mess with the shimmer? Is this all on a fluval 13.5 too, if so, was it to improve the spread of the light? I have pretty tall rock structures so I might need something like that.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, my led bars seem to be what make the shimmer that is bothering me. Did adding them mess with the shimmer? Is this all on a fluval 13.5 too, if so, was it to improve the spread of the light? I have pretty tall rock structures so I might need something like that.
Yes this on an evo as well, I actually have two 160s with the xho for spread around the whole weird structure I made…am trying to fill out with sps and have good spread, love the color combo, here’s some old pics from 8 months ago

Attachments

• A5163592-DBF7-4E34-B23D-9FFF5E801162.jpeg
    A5163592-DBF7-4E34-B23D-9FFF5E801162.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 54
  • D8570BF4-E149-48FF-A456-36A3DB37B4B3.jpeg
    D8570BF4-E149-48FF-A456-36A3DB37B4B3.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this on an evo as well, I actually have two 160s with the xho for spread around the whole weird structure I made…am trying to fill out with sps and have good spread, love the color combo, here’s some old pics from 8 months ago
That looks amazing! I really like the kessil and if i can just add UV bars to get more color pop that sound like the best option. I was planning on doing more LPS though and i wont need quite that much power. I am going back and forth on this still.

Kessil has 5 year warranty, their lenses don't melt, amazing shimmer, and better light spread,
AI Prime has a much lower price and much better color customization

I feel like I'm forgetting something for the prime but in that list Kessil is my winner right now.

I won't have my clearviewlid for a few more weeks though so I have time.

Back