Self-sustaining nano bowl

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through the threads here (most notably) and on nano-reef where people have documented their success with sealed, pico size bowls. I've only seen one over 5 gallons, and I'm not 100% sure if he seals the top (instagram link)

I found a bowl of almost 10 gallon capacity, here, but can't set it up until after I move. I wonder if it would work the same. Has anyone tried a nano sealed bowl vs pico size? @brandon429 , have you seen anything?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neat idea for sure and nice container

we aren't sealing them nowadays too much its usually a fitted lid and an air pump that vents out from it but still cuts evap tremendously, 2-3 times a week topoff instead of 2-3 times a day. restrictive evap vs metered freshwater input

we do have some sealed systems on file but those used inside refugiums to pump 02 during the dark phase, I supposed a totally sealed system is possible wo the plant phase but the lid will still need to be accessed for feeding, water changes weekly.

OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neat idea for sure and nice container

we aren't sealing them nowadays too much its usually a fitted lid and an air pump that vents out from it but still cuts evap tremendously, 2-3 times a week topoff instead of 2-3 times a day. restrictive evap vs metered freshwater input

we do have some sealed systems on file but those used inside refugiums to pump 02 during the dark phase, I supposed a totally sealed system is possible wo the plant phase but the lid will still need to be accessed for feeding, water changes weekly.
Ah, yes. I suppose I mixed my terms up. Lidded vs the open or mesh tops that are so popular is what I meant.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can even do very neat changeups such as make a fitted lid for it, lined in split airline tubing as a gasket, pressing on the inside of the lip not resting on top (saltcreep prevention) and then just cut holes in lid to run via grommets the lines for a heater and common fountain tiny pump. you have to cut, solder the lines back through the grommets to complete the throughput and then when you lift the lid all of it lifts up.

you're cracking the lid every few days to feed, this regenerates air in the gap and it'll run semi sealed this way and very very low topoff if any.

if you use an airline bubbler then that's positive pressure and it will evaporate slowly.

OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love to see this attempted I was thinking about doing a similar thing with a bubble tip and pair of clowns
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think the visual of the 'fish bowl' with the anemone and clown would be very cool. The instagram account I linked in my original post is stocked with (amount other things) a nem + clown.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I saw those bowls on reefbuilders from igram they’re awesome. I think they’re open top above very nice

the concentric top is lower surface area than square, less surface area, less evap

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back