Semir's Reef

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my 65g being down for almost 7 months now, I believe I did myself wrong. I think I've learned more about the saltwater keeping community in one year than I ever have in my whole college career. With that being said, I think I am ready to start a new adventure.

I have many regrets with my first reef. My first regret being neglect. Although it was mainly a soft coral tank and it could take that abuse, I didn't treat it right. I spent insane amount of money, time and effort into it just so that i can tear it all apart after 2ish years. The tank was asking for me, telling me it needed just a little bit of tuning up and it would've been fine. I never listened.

Ive spent my time at school completely stressing out, forgetting things that were important too, chasing a dream and letting other ones fall. Of course school is important especially for the field i will be going in to.... but sometimes a great lesson is to be learned and that is to take a step back and not forget the rest of what you worked hard for too.

I took apart the 65g with no intention of coming back. Id lost hope, motivation and i had no vision in this hobby. I didn't want to do this anymore. Apart from the 65g i had a 10g im nuvo. I had planned on making it a tank that housed an angler. I wanted one for so long and so has my brother. We were looking at so many and even came up with the name of patrice. Plans never went through, i kept stressing with school, life events, work and i put everything in the shed in the backyard. I thought i finally came to peace not having to worry about this tank. Months go by, i walk past the door near where the tank was and i keep looking over to look for it but then realizing i dont have it anymore. Id go on youtube, watch reef videos but never want to just go ahead and start up the tank again.

I NEED THE TANK BACK

A month ago, i took some 2x4's that i had left over. I built a stand, its nothing great it'll definitely need a revision and i grabbed the im nuvo 10. I went, got a small box of red sea salt, some sand and took leftover rock from the old tank that i had kept in water and heated. I set the tank up, it cycled relatively fast due to the live rock from the previous tank. I currently have it running with two nass. snails in it. Im using one of the old lights to light this tank and im using the small heater from when i mixed water.

As of right now, the tank is bare minimum. It got some crazy GHA, i went ahead and cleaned it out. Tank has an upgraded pump, im caddy, eheim heater and a mars aqua light. Ive made a list of what to order and come my next check, its getting ordered. My bulkreefsupply shopping cart is ready to go. just waiting for extra funds after i pay these bills, lol.

If you are curious as to what this tank is getting, ill provide the list:

Light: AI Prime 16 HD
Skimmer: No Skimmer, never used one, but i will be doing water changes.
Salt: Debating on Red Sea Blue Bucket or Tropic Marin Pro Reef
Filtration: ChemiPure Blue nano packs
Biological Filtration: Matrix
Water Changes: buying 3 hydrototes. One for Ro/DI ATO and the other two for Saltwater Mixing
Salinity Testing: I used to use a hydrometer. but im switching to hanna's salinity tester.

- Obviously tank need something to scrape, so nothing but the best, Nano Flipper
- Tank will be getting a dose of Fritz Turbostart to replenish whatever is needed.
- Also to siphon the sand i will be going with Python Pro Squeeze Medium size.

Im also going to get a Brine Shrimp Hatchery because well... why not i want one.

Im guessing you guys might want to see some pics so ill post one now and maybe some more tomorrow. We will see.

Before i post the pic though, i should set myself a goal list

- Properly maintain the tank, Water changes, don't be lazy
- Dont be cheap, nothing good is ever cheap
- I think my number one goal is to grow coral that i can't propagate and share with my friends

ok ok, ill stop with the talking, here's the tank. its nothing amazing.
IMG_0424.jpeg

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 22, 2021: Tanks First Testing Parameters
Temp: 79 F
SG: 34.5 or 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Alk: 11.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 160
Phosphate: Not Tested
Iodine: Not Tested
Calcium: 500
Mg: 1480
Strontium: Not Tested
TDS: Not Tested

Added 2 mL of Hydrogen Peroxide to help with GHA since i do not have any livestock in the tank. Nothing will be added until the new stuff comes in and a 100% water change is done.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to let the Hydrogen peroxide do its thing for a couple hours while i go pick up my girl. When i return, we do some in tank scrubbing! get this GHA outta here.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2 works great for some and I unfortunately made some mistakes with it in trials. Do not use around shrimp. They die. Do not pray directly on fish, they die too. This was high concentration h2o2 in large quantities. :)
Cannot wait see more pictures.

What are you going to put in it for fish. I love my fish in my 6g. Super cool and pretty.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2 works great for some and I unfortunately made some mistakes with it in trials. Do not use around shrimp. They die. Do not pray directly on fish, they die too. This was high concentration h2o2 in large quantities. :)
Cannot wait see more pictures.

What are you going to put in it for fish. I love my fish in my 6g. Super cool and pretty.
luckily im only doing my h2o2 for now since no live stock except two nass snails. I plan on buying all my necessities this upcoming friday. Got my Ro buddy setup and ready to mix for a 100% water change before i begin putting livestock.

To be honest im not sure yet, i really wanted two yasha gobies and a pistol shrimp. In my big tanks i had tangs, clowns, gobies, triggers, pretty much everything except eels and anglers. So ive kinda spent most my time with fish that i really like. Now im torn because well its a 10g. So im very limited. I want to avoid clown gobies tho. I never had good luck with them.

For coral, im huge into soft coral. So coral selection will be easy.

Time to go check out your 6g :) i need some inspiration.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Folks, Woke up today to the tank being loud. Forgot to add water before i slept. GHA is beginning to loosen up and snails are looking healthier. Overall, very happy with the tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6g will be able to be seen on the care4reefs.org website. I have the tank video up now, but will add some of my program pictures from yesterday on there as well.

In there now is mostly from Biota: Black bellied goby x3 (maybe 5 just only see 3), mandarin pair, pavo damsel, court jester, white spotted dwarf goby x4, urchin, sexy shrimp, peppermint shrimp, bali kluxum, willow toadstool, and then some other corals I have and lots of crab, snail, stars, etc.

So far so good. I also have a masked goby in my 40g and I see it all the time. I love neon gobies too. Out and fun personalities. Both would be great in a 10g. As would a court jester.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6g will be able to be seen on the care4reefs.org website. I have the tank video up now, but will add some of my program pictures from yesterday on there as well.

In there now is mostly from Biota: Black bellied goby x3 (maybe 5 just only see 3), mandarin pair, pavo damsel, court jester, white spotted dwarf goby x4, urchin, sexy shrimp, peppermint shrimp, bali kluxum, willow toadstool, and then some other corals I have and lots of crab, snail, stars, etc.

So far so good. I also have a masked goby in my 40g and I see it all the time. I love neon gobies too. Out and fun personalities. Both would be great in a 10g. As would a court jester.
That looks awesome! Nice tanks. Im reading into this, what you guys do is amazing. Absolutely to look up to. I think letting the youngins know about reef is great in it own, let alone the impact coral reefs have on ecosystems. Awesome work!

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 24, 2021: Tanks Second Testing of Parameters
Temp: 79.5 F
SG: 34.5 or 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Alk: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 160
Phosphate: Not Tested
Iodine: Not Tested
Calcium: 480
Mg: 1360
Strontium: Not Tested
TDS: Not Tested

Dosed another 4mL of H2O2.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back