Seneye Coral moniters Alklinity - fact vs fiction

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, wondering your thoughts regarding measurement of Alk using this method. Is it a reliable method that we can bank on or is this really crude and the accuracy not reliable?

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/18/seneye-coral-monitors-alkalinity-for-just-200/

The method can theoretically work fine. It gives carbonate alkalinity instead of total alkalinity, but that's OK.

But in practice the method is very challenging. Mindstream has been trying for a long time to get adequate accuracy.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that the level that Mindstream is looking for is far more accuracy than what we really need. How accurate would you expect this measurement to be. Would it be good enough?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that the level that Mindstream is looking for is far more accuracy than what we really need. How accurate would you expect this measurement to be. Would it be good enough?

It depends entirely on how accurately it can measure both pH and CO2. They can be measured very well, or crappily. :D

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How expensive or difficult would it be to build and sell an instrument that would measure CO2 accurately? I like the Seneye concept. For me +/- .25 dKh would be acceptable. I don't need something that is 0.01 accurate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How expensive or difficult would it be to build and sell an instrument that would measure CO2 accurately? I like the Seneye concept. For me +/- .25 dKh would be acceptable. I don't need something that is 0.01 accurate.

Mindstream has been working on it for years. I have spent time talking to them, and I'd say it is not easy, or not inexpensive.

Brendank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2 is kinda challenging to measure in a high humidity environment. The sensors are noisy and they just get even more noisy with humidity. Interestingly, getting a good enough pH measurement is really the limiting factor. Getting tolerances within +/- 0.25 dKh is actually very hard to achieve. Sensor measurements drift over time and lose calibration, and other aspects of the water composition matter - sulphates, fluorides, and so on effect the measurements which also drift and change.

Last edited:

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is a hot mess to measure cheaply even in atmosphere. All the under-100$ sensors are either wildly inaccurate or have to be recalibrated every 7 days from a known setpoint. I don't imagine doing it in-water with salt present makes this any easier...

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i chatted with Seneye. They were so happy with their ALK monitor they are adding more Element sensors to monitor. So that's what the "coral" version has been up to these past 4 years. They sure have good customer service.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know when the seneye coral is being released?
I can't get an accurate pH reading from my Seneye and it constantly drifts. I can't imagine they can get a pH reading accurate enough to determine carbonate alkalinity given their current design. I would say that if it hasn't been released given the announcement 4 years ago they abandoned the idea or are still struggling to get any sort of accuracy from it.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never it was probably just marketing hype. What they are suggesting isn't possible.
Not entirely true. If you have a pH reading and a co2 reading you can get it… the problem I have found with Seneye is that it builds up gunk which causes ph to go crazy fairly quickly. (Or atleast I assume this is the cause).

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely true. If you have a pH reading and a co2 reading you can get it… the problem I have found with Seneye is that it builds up gunk which causes ph to go crazy fairly quickly. (Or atleast I assume this is the cause).
If it is so easy why is no other company measuring alk with some kind of probe or set of probes? Why are all alkalinity monitoring machines complicated titration machines?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is so easy why is no other company measuring alk with some kind of probe or set of probes? Why are all alkalinity monitoring machines complicated titration machines?
Don't put words in my mouth, it clearly isn't easy but its feasible.

Mindstream did it. Innovation takes time and titration worked and has been around for years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back