Seneye Coral moniters Alklinity - fact vs fiction

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the actual equations you can see the precision problem clearly with this method.

Let's assume an actual CO2 measurement of 415 and pH of 8.10

If the sensor has a +/- 0.01 repeatability for pH, that would result in Alk readings of 7.54 to 7.97 dKH.

If you add in just a +/- 1% CO2 reading you will get 7.45 to 8.06 dKH readings or roughly 0.6 dKH difference.

Many would find this to be too inaccurate for their reefing needs.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the actual equations you can see the precision problem clearly with this method.

Let's assume an actual CO2 measurement of 415 and pH of 8.10

If the sensor has a +/- 0.01 repeatability for pH, that would result in Alk readings of 7.54 to 7.97 dKH.

If you add in just a +/- 1% CO2 reading you will get 7.45 to 8.06 dKH readings or roughly 0.6 dKH difference.

Many would find this to be too inaccurate for their reefing needs.
As long as it measures it consistently slightly off, it wouldn't matter. If the alk is 9 dkh and the seneye measures 8 but consistently reads 8, that's all anybody needs for coral. Stability is the key for corals, not the specific alkalinity number as long as it is with say 7 to 11 dkh.

Does anybody know what the heck happened to this seneye coral, I am guessing it is never coming out?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea about the Seneye, but with the Mindstream there were other issues than the issue of accuracy. One was elevated metals impacting/degrading the performance over time.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back