Serpent star coming out during day...?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a serpent sea star for about a week and a half now. He’s always hid during the day and came out at night. I feed the tank a small amount after all the fish go to bed so he can get food. Today he has came out and been active. He is going into corners and seemingly trying to get out. He is also just sitting under ledges and things of that sort. Any ideas?

image.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..
Maybe he's just starting to get comfortable in the tank and no longer feels threatened coming out during the day?
Mine is mostly nocturnal as well, but does come out during the day around feedings.

I guess I'd offer him a snack. If he's voracious, you might chalk it up to hunger. If little interest, you can dig deeper with testing.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..
Maybe he's just starting to get comfortable in the tank and no longer feels threatened coming out during the day?
Mine is mostly nocturnal as well, but does come out during the day around feedings.

I guess I'd offer him a snack. If he's voracious, you might chalk it up to hunger. If little interest, you can dig deeper with testing.
I offered him some San Francisco Bay Carnivore Cuisine and he showed 0 interest.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that was the best I got :(

If you're really concerned and think it's more than him just feeling frisky, you can test your major parameters.
Sounds like a younger tank? Any changes recently to light, flow, dosing? Any other new livestock?

A mild alk/ph spike once and I had snails and such all but crawling out of the tank. It's probly nothing, but your keen observations and reactions to them are your tank's best defense to just about everything.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that was the best I got :(

If you're really concerned and think it's more than him just feeling frisky, you can test your major parameters.
Sounds like a younger tank? Any changes recently to light, flow, dosing? Any other new livestock?

A mild alk/ph spike once and I had snails and such all but crawling out of the tank. It's probly nothing, but your keen observations and reactions to them are your tank's best defense to just about everything.
Alk and calcium have been stable at 9 and 400
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
I think he is just feeling frisky though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back