Setting Up Vortechs With Apex

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 new MP40s in March. Finally have the tank wet and am setting up pumps. I’ve got an Apex with EB32 and WXM module. I’ve not updated the firmware on these MP40s.

What’s the best setup here? Should I stick with the WXM module to control them. Or should I plug them into a power strip that plugs into a single outlet on the EB32 and control them there On/Off for feed modes and use Mobius for the pump control when they are on?

Other setups? What’s the optimal way to go here as I’m just getting going.

Thanks!

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tell you I never used Reeflink or mobius but man I love the WXM with my mp40s and radions. Shame the new radions don't work with apex otherwise I would have already switched gen5's.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have the WXM, I'd recommend using it to control the MP40's. This will give you the flexibility to plug the MP40's into a normal power strip rather than wasting controllable EnergyBar outputs, and it will give you greater programming flexibility to integrate with the Apex feed cycles. For example, you can turn off the MP's when feed mode starts, then a few minutes later kick off a "feed storm" to stir up the food, then briefly turn off again before finally resuming the normal schedule. This would work both for scheduled feedings as well as one-off manual feeding, so you wouldn't need to fumble around with a separate app to coordinate. It can also be useful during maintenance operations.

See my tutorial on Apex Feed Cycles for some ideas: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-7-feed-cycles.715/

OP
OP
A

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have the WXM, I'd recommend using it to control the MP40's. This will give you the flexibility to plug the MP40's into a normal power strip rather than wasting controllable EnergyBar outputs, and it will give you greater programming flexibility to integrate with the Apex feed cycles. For example, you can turn off the MP's when feed mode starts, then a few minutes later kick off a "feed storm" to stir up the food, then briefly turn off again before finally resuming the normal schedule. This would work both for scheduled feedings as well as one-off manual feeding, so you wouldn't need to fumble around with a separate app to coordinate. It can also be useful during maintenance operations.

See my tutorial on Apex Feed Cycles for some ideas: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-7-feed-cycles.715/
Thanks! I hadn’t yet taken the WXM out of the box but after your post just looked and saw that they control the pumps wirelessly. So yeah I will definitely use it on the vortechs.

OP
OP
A

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more question. Any powerstrip that is preferred for reefers?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more question. Any powerstrip that is preferred for reefers?
I use this one, which has convenient On/Off buttons for each output:

Tripp Lite 7 Outlet (6 Individually Controlled) Surge Protector Power Strip

81OnwwSQ-6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hadn’t yet taken the WXM out of the box but after your post just looked and saw that they control the pumps wirelessly. So yeah I will definitely use it on the vortechs.
I helped a friend in my local reefing club with programming for this "Feed Storm". Here's the code we used with several virtual outputs, and a diagram of the MP40 cycles:

[FeedStorm1]
Set OFF
If vFeedSwitch CLOSED Then ON
Min Time 060:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm2]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm1 = ON Then ON
Defer 030:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm3]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm2 = ON Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm4]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm3 = ON Then ON
Defer 010:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm5]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm4 = ON Then ON

[Return-Pump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output FeedStorm1 = ON Then OFF

[MP40]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Timer1 = ON Then OFF
If Output Timer2 = ON Then ON
If Output Timer3 = ON Then OFF
If Output Timer4 = ON Then ON
If Output Timer5 = ON Then OFF

Here's the cycle the return pump and MP40 follows:

OP
OP
A

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped a friend in my local reefing club with programming for this "Feed Storm". Here's the code we used with several virtual outputs, and a diagram of the MP40 cycles:

[FeedStorm1]
Set OFF
If vFeedSwitch CLOSED Then ON
Min Time 060:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm2]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm1 = ON Then ON
Defer 030:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm3]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm2 = ON Then ON

[FeedStorm4]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm3 = ON Then ON
Defer 010:00 Then ON

[FeedStorm5]
Set OFF
If Output FeedStorm4 = ON Then ON

[Return-Pump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output FeedStorm1 = ON Then OFF

[MP40]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Timer1 = ON Then OFF
If Output Timer2 = ON Then ON
If Output Timer3 = ON Then OFF
If Output Timer4 = ON Then ON
If Output Timer5 = ON Then OFF

Here's the cycle the return pump and MP40 follows:
Thanks John! You were a huge inspiration for my mixing station. See pic attached. And your build thread definitely helped a ton in my early planning days. Really appreciate this advice.

Attachments

• D8C8B742-E3D0-4AD9-8E95-ECD0DB76F5F1.jpeg
    D8C8B742-E3D0-4AD9-8E95-ECD0DB76F5F1.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 62

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John! You were a huge inspiration for my mixing station. See pic attached. And your build thread definitely helped a ton in my early planning days. Really appreciate this advice.

Yes, that mixing station looks familiar!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back