Shaggy's Waterbox Reef 100.3 +Plus Build

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, back in the UK (I'm now in Tennessee in the US) my love for marine fish started, it spawned from a honeymoon in the Maldives! I could not believe what I saw out there and wanted a slice of the Indian ocean in my house. I had 3 tanks in total, the first was a 50 gallon no name reef tank, this soon blossomed into a 250G custom build tank, both were somewhat failures, but I learnt a lot. I then got a 90 Gallon Aquamedic Percular tank, this is where everything came together, it was stunning. I was just about to up-size to a 500 (I think) Aqaumedic Tridacna! But after many years of throwing money at projects I could not really afford, I was forced to sell everything!

Present day, and I now am in a financial position to have the things I want in my life. I'm 47, I have worked hard, my son has flown the nest and we live in a great house in a great state and I have a great job. Lately, I really have had the itch to get back into reef keeping. I planned on starting small, getting a BioCube, having it upstairs, but I knew I was kidding myself, I knew I would not be happy. So I started researching larger aquariums, and I have finally (I thought) settled on a WaterBox Marine 70.3. I called them to order one, this was just two days ago! They were out of stock, back ordered and even the back orders were full, if I wanted that 70.3 I would have a wait that I was not happy with.

I bugged the hell out of Jess at Waterbox, she probably hates me! I was going over every detail of their tanks, the size, the dimensions, the cabinet sizes, the wait list and the only solution that I had, that would see me get something sooner rather than later was to buy a Reef 100.3 system. I did not take this decision lightly, and although I am in the very lucky position of just being able to buy this, with money in the bank, I pondered over this for a couple of days. This afternoon I pressed the blue "Buy Button" on the Reef 100.3 +Plus system.

I keep staring at the picture below. Slightly in disbelief that I actually did and also in excitement of getting this thing up and running. This tank will be done right, not fast. I'll take my time to look at what you all have done in the time I have taken off from the hobby and use your experience to ensure this tank looks awesome. I'll ask lots of questions! Forgive me for that, I was an experienced reefer 20 years ago, things have changed!

So this is it! Jess at WaterBox advised that the next shipment should arrive toward the end of this month, they already have the cabinet, they just need the glass. They then unpack it all, check it and ship it. Best case scenario would be the 1st week of September, worse case the middle of September.

I am a photographer in my spare time! Expect lots of pictures. I also want to put some YouTube videos together. I'm no vlogger, so don't expect anything out of this world, but I do see a lack of Reef 100.3 videos out there, I think it would be nice to share some experiences.

Nest steps are, as far as I can see to get the tank up and running, will be to decide on the following:

Thank you all for all the encouragement thus far :)

Capture.JPG

The Aquarium

WATERBOX Reef 100.3 +Plus
  • 97.2 Gallons (368L)
  • 36″ L x 24″ W x 22″ H
  • Glue Free NFS Certified UPVC Plumbing Kit
  • Reef Ready Sump System
  • ATO Reservior
  • Heavy Duty UV Coated Cabinet
  • AI Hydra TwentySix™ HD x 2
  • AI HMS Single Arm Kit x 2
EcoTech Marine Reef Link
  • Fully wireless connection to EcoTech lights and pumps
  • Controls multiple aquariums
  • Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
  • Plug and play
  • Built-in RF for communication with EcoTech aquarium hardware
  • Can use Ethernet if Wi-Fi is unavailable
  • Makes selection and monitoring of lighting colors, water modes and timing easy
EcoTech Marine Vortech MP-40wQD - I have two MP-40's - See current Schedule Below

dd.JPG

At the heart of the VorTech`s success is its unique, patented, magnetically coupled design.
  • No distractions from the beauty of the tank and its inhabitants
  • No wires in the aquarium
  • No unwanted heat added to the water column
  • No risk of electrical discharge harming people or marine life
  • No hassle when it comes to installing, relocating or cleaning the powerhead
QuietDrive builds on the unique advantages of the VorTech`s magnetically couple design and takes it to the next level. The revolutionary new drive system boasts increased efficiency and significantly reduces motor noise.

Webcam Monitoring (ReefCam)

Foscam Z2 1080P Wireless Camera

1080P Full HD Video Quality Powered by an Ambarella chipset,full HD 1080P @25fps video Resolution offers better fluent video quality while monitoring your home. Night vision up to 26ft to capture more details either in day or night. Smart One-Button Sleeping Mode - The camera also can hide the lens totally to help you get privacy protection when you active the function

Aquarium Controller

Neptune Systems APEX Wi-FI Controller
Neptune Systems DOS - Not Yet Installed
Neptune Systems Trident
Neptune Systems APEX WAV & 1LINK Module - Not Yet Installed
Neptune Systems APEX Ecotech Wireless Expansion - Not Yet Installed
Neptune Systems LDK Leak Detection Kit - Not Yet Installed
Neptune Systems COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump - Not Yet Installed
Neptune Systems Magnetic Probe Rack x 2

Substrate and Rock

CaribSea Arag-Alive Substrate 80lbs - 3 bags
  • Special Grade Reef Sand - Grain Size 1.0 - 2.0 mm
  • This coarse sand is 100% aragonite and has excellent diffusive properties
  • A very versatile product, use in a deep or shallow beds
  • A significant denitrator when utilized in deeper beds or plenum systems.
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock "The Package" 100lbs
  • Tampa Bay Saltwater is home of the largest Live Rock Farm in the world!
  • They have over four million pounds of live rock under production on a five acre lease site in the Gulf of Mexico, and an Aquaculture site located in the Florida Keys.
  • They offer invertebrates from the Gulf of Mexico, live sand, and they say they have the finest quality live rock available in the industry
The Sump

NYOS QUANTUM 160 Protein Skimmer
  • Pump: Quantum® 3.0
  • Air max.: 1500 l/h
  • Power: 18 W
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 7.29" x 9.85" x 20.87" (18.5 x 25 x 53 cm)
  • Tank Size: 100-250 Gallons (250-1,000 litres)
  • Recommended Sump Water Level: 8"-10"
NYOS TORQ Media Reactor 2.0 & Dock Pump
  • Control your flow with a twist of the Body
  • Double chamber allows two medias to be used simultaneously
  • No hose attachments, keeping the sump area free from clutter
  • Modular, swapping cartridges with fresh or new media

Finnex Digital Temperature Controller With 300W Titanium Heater
  • Finnex Memory Chipped Digital Control w/Sleek Finnex 300 Watt Titanium Tube!
  • Control Range: 0F - 99F * Accuracy: +-2F
  • Three prongs power receptacle works with Finnex 300W, 500W & 800W heating tubes and other brand's heating elements
  • LED water temperature reading
  • Good for aquariums up to 80 Gallons
TUNZE Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off ATO
  • Metering pump flow rate based on pumping height: 3 feet:13.7gph, 5 feet:12.4gph, 6.5 feet: 7gph, Maximum pumping height: 7.22 feet
  • Magnetic Mount System: Maximum glass thickness ½ inch
  • For indoor use only
  • 2-year warranty
Ecotech Marine Vectra M2 DC Aquarium Water Pump - Running at 60%

Capturfffe.JPG

• Flow = 2000 gph (7,500 lph)
  • Max head pressure = 21.5` (6.5 m)
  • Footprint: 7.5"L x 4.5"W
  • Input dimension = 1.25" (31.75 mm)
  • Output dimension = 1" (25 mm)
  • Power = 96 watts
Reef Husbandry, Testing & Maintenance

AP-1 TDS/TEMP Water Tester
  • Simultaneous TDS and Temperature reading
  • Large easy-to-ready screen
  • Digital Calibration
  • Water resistant housing
  • Magnetic body (Patent Pending) –Perfect for a fridge
  • Retail friendly packaging
  • Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)

Flipper Standard 2-in-1 Magnet Algae Cleaner
  • Flipper is made with the strongest rare earth magnets optimized for fresh or saltwater aquariums
  • Blade side has 3 contact points with a 3 mm gap between the panel and cleaner minimizing the chance sand will get trapped
  • Wet-side does not sink when magnets are disengaged, for easy retrieval
  • For tanks up to 1/2" (12mm) in panel thickness
  • Includes 2 blades:
    • One stainless steel blade to be used on Glass tanks only
    • AND an ABS blade for use on Acrylic tanks!
Salifert Test Kits

I use the entire range of Salifert test kits. I find these much more reliable than the RedSea kits I was using.

Hanna Instruments Marine Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

• The Hanna Instruments Marine Salinity and Temperature Tester (HI98319) was designed to simplify testing your salt mix`s salinity and temperature in seconds, with reading results in parts per thousand (ppt), Practical Salinity Units (PSU), or specific gravity (S.G.).
  • This waterproof tester uses a graphite amperometric conductivity probe, which is resistant to oxidation, improving the measurement repetition to determine the salt content in the water. The use of a graphite probe also reduces the polarization effect common with testers that use two stainless steel pins.
  • Calibration is performed by pressing the dedicated calibration button. Once in calibration mode, the probe is placed in 35.00 ppt calibration standard. When the standard value is recognized and stability reached, the meter will automatically accept and store the value.
  • The Hanna Marine Salinity Tester displays the readings along with temperature on an easy to read large LCD screen.

Salt Mixing & R/O Production

Bulk Reef Supply 4 Stage Value Plus Edition RO/DI System (150GPD)
  • Produce 0 TDS water
  • Minimal waste water
  • Multiple source water connections
  • Mur-lok Push Connect dual EPDM O-Ring fittings
  • 10 Ft Each of 1/4" Blue, Red and Black Tubing
  • Pre-installed NSF Certified Filters

Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 Multi-Use Water Pump (For Salt Mixing) x2
  • Venturi – Silent, fully adjustable aeration.
  • Rotational Output – Directs water flow to needed areas of the tank.
  • Impeller – Maximizes water flow.
  • Adaptable Intake – Allows the power head to be used with undergravel filters.
  • Omni-Directional Mount – Adjusts the pump to fit the proper current needs inside the tank.
  • Propeller –Maximizes the water flow.
  • Propeller Cage – Protects the propeller and tank inhabitants while minimizing flow restriction.
Eheim air200 Air Pump
  • Very quiet operation
  • Long service life, best quality
  • Airflow adjustable at each air outlet on the device
  • Additional adjustment of the air flow and bubble effect using the included Eheim diffusers
  • Completely equipped with Diffusor: air pump 200 = 2 diffusers
  • Rubber suction pads to dampen vibration
  • Wall Mounting Eyelet
Eheim Jager TruTemp Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater x 2 (For R/O & Salt Mix)
  • TruTemp dial with readjustment ring allows the user to calibrate the heater for a precise temperature reading
  • Thermo safety control - enables running dry protection; heater will shut off when out of water
  • Made of shatter-proof glass
  • Precise temperature regulation
  • Extra long cable of 5`6"
  • Includes clamp with 2 suction cups
  • Simple and safe recalibration (+/- 2 degrees)

BRUTE 55 Gallon Waste Container With Lid (For Salt Mix and Plain R/O)
  • All-plastic, professional-grade construction will not rust, chip or peel; resists dents.
  • Strong, snap-on lids are available for secure, stable stacking.
  • Reinforced rims add strength and durability.
  • Built-in handles allow easy, non-slip lifting and anti-jam nesting.
  • Double-ribbed base increases stability and dragging capacity.
  • Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines.
  • 2657-88 is California State Fire Marshal (CSFM) approved for fire safety when used with 2655.
Tank Build Related Threads Index

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, signing up for this one for sure. Can't wait to watch this come together. Congratulations on pulling the trigger.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along. Glad you joined us. Going from the U.K. to Tennessee is quite a changeup.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I did have a post here. Your not going mad. But I think general questions about what equipment to buy will be better served in the main equipment forum and not here. So I'll re-post that content there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note. I have created an instagram account so I can post all my pictures there also. I really hope to grow that account. So please consider following me here @waterboxreef , I would really appreciate it if you could!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First purchase! The HM Digital Aquapro water tester. I ordered this from Amazon. It arrived today very well packaged. I tested my water pretty much as soon as I got this out of the box and was suprised by the reading 99ppm. I was expecting something far worse than this.

lee.jpg

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, or bad news if your my wallet! I just ordered the following, I actually split the order between BRS and MD as some stuff was in stock with each and some was not. I still need some advice on what media, if any I need for my sump. I also need to order rock, salt and sand but will do that closer to setup. I have to be in San Antonio for a dew days this month, so even if the tank arrived this week (Which I doubt) I would not set it up until I got back.

Please let me know if I have forgotten anything.

• NYOS QUANTUM 160 Protein Skimmer
  • Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off ATO
  • Eheim Jager TruTemp 250 Watt Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater x 2
  • EcoTech Marine Vectra M2 DC Aquarium Water Pump
  • 4 Stage Value Plus 150GPD Water Saver RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply
  • Hammerhead Float Plus - Algae Free
  • Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
  • Maxi-Jet Powerhead 1200 - Marineland

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Labor Day Sale purchase from Lowe's - These bins were $29 each. One will be for plain R/O and the other for Salt R/O, Incidentally, the wall you see then against is where the aquarium will be situated. I think it will look a lot nicer here and it's a perfect fit.

IMG_2562.jpg

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank delayed a month due to Hurricane. Not sure how it's delayed a month as it was meant to be in at the beginning of the week. But I guess I'll just have to take their word for it!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little package arrived today via UPS. A little drama with the delivery. I was expecting 3 boxes from Marine Depot. The wife was at home to receive it. So the Ring door bell sounded and just like the true pro I am, I hung up on a call at work and watched the camera. The UPS driver approached by door with a 55 inch Sony OLED TV! At this point I can hear Sarah muttering under her breath something about Duck's? Could not hear properly, sounded like Duck's anyway, and a lot of them! Anyhoo, I shouted through the doorbell that we were not expecting a TV, so the UPS driver goes back to the van and brings TWO boxes. I told him he had 3 on the van and then explained he probably delivered my Skimmer to someone else and we have their TV.

At this point he made up some BS excuse that that was not the case and that the delivery was on another van! Well, 5 mins later he is back again with the 3rd box! Mysteriously found in his van no less! By this time the ducks had obviously flown off as Sarah was not talking about them anymore. Just mutters of "how much has he spent now" at this point I said there was something wrong with the connection to the doorbell and I hung up :) It's never simple at my house!!

I'll break the news to her tomorrow that there is another 3 boxes from BRS coming tomorrow :)

DSC03762.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back