Shark advice

billgillette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a banded cat shark and he is doing really well so far and have had him a couple months now. Problem is the fish in the tank ended up with ich and I ended up losing all 4 fish I had in there before my treatment stuff arrived. So now I'm left with just the shark in the tank and it's been 2 days since I pulled the last 2 fish out. The shark is not showing any signs of ich and looks to be very healthy and active. I know ich can die off on it's own in a empty tank, but not sure with the shark in there or if it can't get it or not. And so do I treat the tank with kick ich and rally? Will that affect the shark? Or do I let the ich die off on it's own if it can't host on the shark??? Anyone with any information that can help me out with this would be appreciated... Thanks!

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure whats in kick ich. Look at the ingredients and check this manual out. It will tell you what is shark safe and what is not. If kick ich has copper remove the shark, it is not ok. If it is malachite green it should be fine, but I would double check with the manual.

The shark might not be as affected by ich as other fish but I will assume it could still host ich.

https://sites.google.com/site/elasmobranchhusbandry/manual

OP
OP
billgillette

billgillette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll check the ingredients I do know it says it's copper free.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick ich and rally isn't going to kill crypt... You'd be wasting your money. Sharks can carry the parasite. Tank transfer method is the safest way to rid it of this parasite.

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this when I had my banded cat shark and my tank got ich I lost everything but the shark. The shark never caught it and he stayed in there for a long time after the ich.

OP
OP
billgillette

billgillette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this when I had my banded cat shark and my tank got ich I lost everything but the shark. The shark never caught it and he stayed in there for a long time after the ich.
Thanks, well it's been couple weeks now since I lost everything and the shark is still doing great so far and no signs of ich as of yet. And I haven't treated the tank either so I waiting for couple months before I put anything back in there.

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do. Ich shouldn't be able to attach to the shark due to its scales so you shouldn't need to worry about him

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do. Ich shouldn't be able to attach to the shark due to its scales so you shouldn't need to worry about him
But it probably can attach itself to the gills where you can't see it so he can still be a host.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave everything alone. If the shark is showing no signs, then he's not stressed out, and won't get it. Keep him fed, and in a happy home, and you'll be fine.
If its a fish only tank, with inverts, you can use Kick-Ich

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks are a carrier and will continue to let the parasite exist, they just are not overly bothered by it. Again, unfortunately Reef safe remedies are a waste of money against all crypt infections.

OP
OP
billgillette

billgillette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks are a carrier and will continue to let the parasite exist, they just are not overly bothered by it. Again, unfortunately Reef safe remedies are a waste of money against all crypt infections.
Are you recommending I treat the tank anyways even if it doesn't have it? They won't die off on their own with him in there?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned, don't bother treating the tank....those voodoo remedies don't work.

Again, as already mentioned, use tank transfer method. With a shark, I'd be buying a couple of those inexpensive kiddie swimming pools for this. HERE is a write-up on doing this.

Back