Sharks and rays with copper

kws82590

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
metro detroit
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start off by saying i currently do NOT have any shark or Stingrays in my system but i was wondering is even small traces of copper deadly to sharks and rays? I’m currently getting a reading of 30ppb or .03ppm of copper in my system.
 
I want to start off by saying i currently do NOT have any shark or Stingrays in my system but i was wondering is even small traces of copper deadly to sharks and rays? I’m currently getting a reading of 30ppb or .03ppm of copper in my system.

It depends on what form the copper is in. If this is residual copper from a treatment with an amine-based copper medication (coppersafe or copper power) that would be completely safe. If it is from ionic copper, there could be an issue in that the upper limit I like to see with that is 0.05 ppm.

Don't forget - your 0.03 reading (on a Hanna test?) could be at the lower limit of the testing range, and you also need to factor in the accuracy of the device.

Jay
 
It depends on what form the copper is in. If this is residual copper from a treatment with an amine-based copper medication (coppersafe or copper power) that would be completely safe. If it is from ionic copper, there could be an issue in that the upper limit I like to see with that is 0.05 ppm.

Don't forget - your 0.03 reading (on a Hanna test?) could be at the lower limit of the testing range, and you also need to factor in the accuracy of the device.

Jay
Copper power was used and i was using the Hanna low range tester witch reads in PPB i tested three times in a row and all three test were between 30-35ppb
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new