Sharks and rays with copper

kws82590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start off by saying i currently do NOT have any shark or Stingrays in my system but i was wondering is even small traces of copper deadly to sharks and rays? I’m currently getting a reading of 30ppb or .03ppm of copper in my system.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start off by saying i currently do NOT have any shark or Stingrays in my system but i was wondering is even small traces of copper deadly to sharks and rays? I’m currently getting a reading of 30ppb or .03ppm of copper in my system.

It depends on what form the copper is in. If this is residual copper from a treatment with an amine-based copper medication (coppersafe or copper power) that would be completely safe. If it is from ionic copper, there could be an issue in that the upper limit I like to see with that is 0.05 ppm.

Don't forget - your 0.03 reading (on a Hanna test?) could be at the lower limit of the testing range, and you also need to factor in the accuracy of the device.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kws82590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what form the copper is in. If this is residual copper from a treatment with an amine-based copper medication (coppersafe or copper power) that would be completely safe. If it is from ionic copper, there could be an issue in that the upper limit I like to see with that is 0.05 ppm.

Don't forget - your 0.03 reading (on a Hanna test?) could be at the lower limit of the testing range, and you also need to factor in the accuracy of the device.

Jay
Copper power was used and i was using the Hanna low range tester witch reads in PPB i tested three times in a row and all three test were between 30-35ppb

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back