Shoo-Wee Dirty Socks! Are you cleaning your filter socks good enough?

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 158 16.2%
  • Every other week

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 38 3.9%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 77 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • I don't use filter socks

Votes: 326 33.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 33 3.4%

• Total voters

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change socks daily. I catch lots of dinoflagellates in mine and use them as part of routine to rid myself of them. Helps me to be able to maintain steady nutrients and still be able to feed both fish and the heavy coral feedings to get them out before they rot much.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad I saw this post, that floss is a lot cheaper then the 7 oz bag ($10) I get on Amazon. I use the floss in a water bottle cut in half jammed onto a MJ powerhead. It polishes my water incredibly in matter of few hours.
I'm glad you saw it, too. I was doing the same thing for awhile, thought there had to be a cheaper way. Did some research on potential chemicals added, talked to the seller, and ultimately decided on that particular product. Has worked for me and is still fairly cheap.
FYI, 5 lbs is about 3 ft tall once you take it out of the box and it expands.

Pete Witteried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change every 3-4 days, if you leave them in longer things start to decompose ( see BRSTV video testing filter sock effectiveness ). I have enough socks to fill my washing machine.

When ready to wash I turn inside out and give them a good rinse. Run the washing machine a couple of rinse cycles to remove residual detergent and then wash with 1/4 cup non-scented bleach. Run an extra rinse cycle and then dry. Any bleach left in sock will evaporate a couple days after socks are dry.

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of turning the socks inside out, rinsing off outside, and running through the washer... Tossed them all and installed the Roller Matt...never going back!

Knaszak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for This. Had no idea mesh filters can go that low in microns. Just ordered 2 50 micron mesh filters. Excited to try them. Dealing with socks has been a pain.
Tried, no where near felt! Easier to clean but sump was filthy w crap

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original sock filters were around 200-micron and we are dealing with Dino. So, we started removing little by little and using 10-micron filters socks. Changing them every-other-day, turn them inside out and clean, and then placing in the washer.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait until the sock is overflowing then I turn it inside out and rinse it in the sink. When there are enough dirty socks I throw them in the washer after adding baking soda to the machine. I use the heavy rinse cycle.

Ok this is a question is more for me than anyone at this point because I'm always wondering if I am getting my filter socks clean enough! I'm always wondering did I rinse good enough, should I take a water hose to them, should I throw in the washer, should I add bleach, or maybe I should do all of that? But I'm always wondering are there nasties still in there and what effect, if any, will it have on my water chemistry. So let's talk about it!

1. What is your routine for keeping your filter socks clean?

2. Do you have any tips for cleaning your socks that you could share?

@JCOLE knows how to make his wife mad! :p
20191113_213041.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change my socks every three days.

5gal bucket with hot water and Oxiclean. Bubbles up and eats the gunk. I soak for an hour and rinse. If they are really nasty I might do it again. But I never need to spray or scrub them. The Oxiclean pulls everything out. I forget where I read this, but I prefer it compared to bleach. Mostly due to how bad bleach smells. Gives me a headache lol!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After years of using 200 micron felt, I upon getting the 660g had to go to 7" socks. My tank came with one and I have 3 sock mounts. I decided to order the mesh style from BRS as they had a promo- Buy 2 get one free. I bought two sets for a total of 6.
These are the easiest socks Ive ever had to clean. Using an old toothbrush, I scrub the frame and rinse the socks under pressure then take my hands and rub the fabric together and let drip dry. About 2 minutes of full cleaning.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is a question is more for me than anyone at this point because I'm always wondering if I am getting my filter socks clean enough! I'm always wondering did I rinse good enough, should I take a water hose to them, should I throw in the washer, should I add bleach, or maybe I should do all of that? But I'm always wondering are there nasties still in there and what effect, if any, will it have on my water chemistry. So let's talk about it!

1. What is your routine for keeping your filter socks clean?

2. Do you have any tips for cleaning your socks that you could share?

@JCOLE knows how to make his wife mad! :p
20191113_213041.jpg
i soak my socks with Clorox overnight in a 5 gallon bucket then I rinse them in the bucket and then I put pressure on the hose outside to rinse off the socks almost like a light pressure washer with the hose . then I fill up the bucket with fresh water again rinsing them again and use the hose till it looks completely clean and free of any Clorox or debris. . I just don't think the washer gets it all the dirt out of it plus I really don't want them in my washer. and I don't want dirty smelly socks hanging around to wait for enough of them to put in a washer

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an ANSWER SELECTION IS MISSING... (I guess "OTHER" IS MY VOTE)

7) CLEANED EVERY USE (right away after brief use. Cleaning is quick,easy, and well-cleaned)

I clean my sock every use, that's because I don't run filter socks for any long period of time.

I throw one in during rock dusting, Maintenance.... and turn up Tank Flow to keep particulates suspended (particulates go into Overflow and into Sump where sock is).
This captures any suspended detritus/Cyano/Plucked-Scrubed Algae.... and after about an hour I remove the sock and clean it right away.

- Simple High Flow Tap Water Rinse in Sink. First risnse is reversed the sock, the rinse again flipped back to normal.
- Air Dryed standing up on drying rack.

I don't believe in Continous sock use:

A) They remove good particulates (when used too long)
b) They trap food and it rots in the sock, verus being processed/Exported by the sump Filtration (biologically, or by skimmer)

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 comment and 1 question.
Comment to those why say they wash in bleach, let dry for a day and then soak in prime: no need for prime. The chlorine will dissipate naturally.
Question to those who have ditched socks because they want to raise nitrates: aren’t socks the same as bio balls, etc, in that they are nitrate factories? I actually change mine only when it starts to clog, maybe every 4-6 weeks, because I am trying to increase nutrients...

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to mesh socks and will never go back to felt. For anyone who thinks felt is better at trapping detritus etc, I disagree as you can get mesh in a wide range of sizes, like from 50 micron to 300 micron. I find it hard to believe that felt can trap better than 50 micron mesh given that most felts are 100. micron.

I use 200 micron since I am not seeking to polish my water.

Here is the huge difference. I can clean my mesh socks in 2 minutes in the sink. Felt is good at trapping detritus from getting past, but it's also good at trapping that junk in the fibers of the felt which makes it difficult to clean.

Cleaning mesh socks is no longer a task I give much thought to anymore. I remove the old (which drains much faster too) , put in the new, walk to the sink, give it a decent rinse with sink sprayer and set aside to dry. And they dry much faster as well so I can store it away.

Mesh doesn't fall apart the way felt does.

I am at a loss how felt has become the standard in the hobby.

Thanks for posting this. I saw some for the first time at a LFS and almost impulse purchased one but decided that I should do some research first. Now my research is finished, thank You.

My wife is going to be so happy. I have a bucket that I toss the socks in and when it gets full I drag it into the bathroom and take a shower and wash my socks at the same time. It helps conserve water and it helps me to bathe more regularly.

I don't do that, but I don't wash my socks regularly either because they are difficult to get clean. Thanks again #NSMikeD for sharing the information on fishnet socks. My wife will be happy if I don't leave my dirty wet socks lying around in buckets anymore! :)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other, I use rollermat on the tank. I only use filter socks when vacuuming my sand. i have 2 5 gallon buckets one for clean sock one for the dirty ones. when i get down to 2 clean socks I turn them inside out and rinse the off really good, then throw them in the washer with bleach only. then let them air dry.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since one of the poll options is "I don't use filter socks" I'll add my $.002. I don't run filter socks anymore. Simply put, in a mature tank, I think socks and other mechanical filters remove "food" that corals and invertebrates might use. When I need to filter detritus or gross organic matter I've stirred up during maintenance, I use a little filter floss or felt and throw it away. Otherwise, I don't use anything. There are a couple of spots that detritus settles in the DT. I just suck it out during water changes. I really don't worry about detritus in the sump. It gets cleaned out when I have to do any maintenance on the sump. The build-up is never very bad.
Filter socks are very good because they make the business going around. Filtrate out bacteria food for corals - they starve - i had to buy this super duper particular bacteria food substitute. Feed to much - does not matter - the filter socks clean it away - I only add more.......

Note - I love to provocate - maybe some brain cells will do a spin in some heads. I have my natural, self cleaning filter socks working 7/24. The best with them is that adapt, by themself to the amount of food drifting around. The large filter sock in the picture is two years older (in my aquarium) compared with the smaller blue filter sock. The large was in size of the small when I got it 3 years ago. They are also much more beautiful to look at than bleached white socks....and you do not need to hide them in the sump.... And in this tank - there have never been any super duper clam food - only my drifting organic particles, bacteria and feshwater cyclops

P5300118.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one 10 micron felt 7 inch filter sock (after you wash them a few times I doubt they are still 10 micron anymore ) for a 240g tank or 3 days or when it clogs and feel it helps keep down detritus. This is especially important in my tank with sand that is very hard to get to because of the narrow tank footprint and the tons of SPS coral. Here is my sock routine
-~20 socks go inside out in a 12 gallon tote.
-Fill with water, sock about an hour and drain
-Refill with water and 4 cups bleach, soak at least 4 hours, drain
-Remove the washer drawer where the soap does and I rinse it well, return to washer
-Run washer empty on quick wash with about 10ml 99% pure sodium percarbonate powder in the dry detergent spot in the drawer.
-Run socks in washer on "heavy cycle with extra rinse" with ~30-40 ml 99% pure sodium percarbonate powder in the dry detergent spot in the drawer
-Run washer on rinse and spin with extra rinse
-Air dry

20200530_083519[1].jpg

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an ANSWER SELECTION IS MISSING... (I guess "OTHER" IS MY VOTE

I throw one in during rock dusting, Maintenance.... and turn up Tank Flow to keep particulates suspend (particulates go into Overflow and into Sump where sock is).
This captures any suspended detritus/Cyano/Plucked-Scrubed Algae.... and after about an hour I remove the sock and clean it right away.

My answer was “other” and this is what I do, too - I only add socks when I’m cleaning the tank/blowing off the rocks and then take them out when the water is clear and wash the socks. I hadn’t been turning up the tank flow so I leave the socks in about 4 hours and every once in a while during that time blow the rocks off again to get the particles in the water column. But now I will turn up the tank flow instead! Thanks for the tip!

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mesh socks. Spray rinse in the sink both sides and then they go in the dishwasher. I like the enzymes in dishwasher detergents and I have faith in the rinse cycles since the results are food grade. I also set the dishwasher on high temp wash.

Back