Should Bulk Reef Supply Resurrect ReefKeeper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Should Bulk Reef Supply work to resurrect a Reefkeeper-like low cost controller

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got GHL and Ekoral and possibly Vertex.

GHL does make a very limited lower priced controller.

I am aware of the GHL but last time I checked the profilux doesn't come with the switchable outlets so I didn't count that one. You would have to buy a separate switchable power bar and use the relays in the GHL to turn them on and off. Ekoral I believe is only a couple of years old and the starter kit is like $700.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your argument sounds more like a reason why you would not need a expensive controller?. Since most equipment comes with a controller anyway right.

Fact is no one actually needs a conroller...

But what everyone need is something to control a heater since they are so unreliable.

So you buy a temperature controller.. What does a good one cost? around 75 dollars so a RK lite was not too much more.

A Reefkeeper lite could do pretty much what any controller could do at the time with a add on module. I do not thin people really understood what it could do..

A finnex controller is $45 off amazon, I think inkbirds are 30 bucks, plug a eheim heater in there and you have your heater and the backup. Finnex even has an audible alarm if temps go too high or low.

Back to my point with the other gear having so much control built in, I just don't think there would be a huge demand for RK in the current equipment market with new hobbyists. It had its day, I owned some years ago, but aside from a dedicated minority I don't see a very large market for these now.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A finnex controller is $45 off amazon, I think inkbirds are 30 bucks, plug a eheim heater in there and you have your heater and the backup. Finnex even has an audible alarm if temps go too high or low.

Back to my point with the other gear having so much control built in, I just don't think there would be a huge demand for RK in the current equipment market with new hobbyists. It had its day, I owned some years ago, but aside from a dedicated minority I don't see a very large market for these now.

Finnex is garbage I have one.. I do not own a ink bird but I do not because so many have had issues with them, like I said good ones.
Replacing a garbage thermostat on a heater with garbage controller still equals garbage.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex is garbage I have one.. I do not own a ink bird but I do not because so many have had issues with them, like I said good ones.
Replacing a garbage thermostat on a heater with garbage controller still equals garbage.

Lol, so you like reefkeepers?

My experience is that I have been using three finnex controllers for over 5 years now, two on discus tanks and one on a reef. Never had any issues. Not a single one.

Ironically I tossed my RK because the heater probe stopped working twice, so it went in the garbage. So quite clearly our impressions of garbage are considerably different. Never did figure out if the issue was in the probes or my RK unit, but considering I was using it as a timer, wasn't worth it. Tried to give it away but no one locally wanted it.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something simple has a power strip or has a wall outlet so you can plug in a DJ strip,maybe a temp and ph probe at most.

Idk I'm simple,and have always wanted a simple controller but could never afford one. I know DIY is a option but that's just too much work.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I own a Reef keeper Lite, I did not like the fact that it is not that expandable. That said It would be nice to have support for the equipment that is out there. I am seriously considering going to Reef PI on the raspberry PI platform. With blue tooth included I can use my computer or phone to access what is going on in my tank.

OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your argument sounds more like a reason why you would not need a expensive controller?. Since most equipment comes with a controller anyway right.

Fact is no one actually needs a conroller...

But what everyone need is something to control a heater since they are so unreliable.

So you buy a temperature controller.. What does a good one cost? around 75 dollars so a RK lite was not too much more.

A Reefkeeper lite could do pretty much what any controller could do at the time with a add on module. I do not thin people really understood what it could do..

Frankly - I think controllers as a whole are over rated - I have an Apex no offense to them - I'm on replacement # 3 - with each failure causing deaths and weeks worth of problems. Which means I re-learned the lesson I read in an article here (I think) talking about the advantages and disadvantages of controllers in general. I tend to use my Apex to monitor temp (and oversee heater - as you mention) - but I have given up on it controlling lights, pump flow, dosing, etc. I have my equipment plugged into the Apex - only for the reason that it allows me to quickly turn off/on components during water changes, maintenance. Having read multiple stories about how people have had their ATO mess up - or their dosing pump, etc I just don't trust them (or any other brand) - before the Apex fans attack en masse - its only my opinion. I'm sure lots of people have success with them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Assume you mean an eheim with its own temp controller. The finnex temp controller is quite nice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It would be nice if you explained 'why' finnex is garbage. Accuracy? reliability? you dont like the name? What? If you have one - are you still using it? why?

I have a finnex controller with a titanium heater - plugged into an apex as backup. Frankly the Finnex is more accurate (when tested with a 3rd thermometer - than the apex)

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a ReefKeeper elite v2 that I'm not using if anyone needs it make me an offer

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL and was looking at the mini or light. both a solid option, this is $220
ProfiLux-Mini_Connections.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back