Should I be concerned about the microbubbles?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have microbubbles in my tank and I’m not sure if this is considered normal or if I should be concerned. All the wildlife in the tank seems fine but I’m pretty sure the water would be clearer without them.

If I should be concerned, what’s the best method to get rid of them? I have a biocube with the stock pump and two Nero 3 powerheads facing each other.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally biocube shouldnt have too many microbubbles, probably just slowing the return pump down some will help a bit as would using the sponge in the final section to reduce the amount of microbubbles entering the chamber. Water level in the tank will also impact bubble production too.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have microbubbles in my tank and I’m not sure if this is considered normal or if I should be concerned. All the wildlife in the tank seems fine but I’m pretty sure the water would be clearer without them.

If I should be concerned, what’s the best method to get rid of them? I have a biocube with the stock pump and two Nero 3 powerheads facing each other.
What is the source of the microbubbles? Generally air going though impellers tends to spawn bubbles. When the bubbles pop that can be a source of salt creep and splash onto lights and other equipment. Lowering powerheads to remove surface cavitation and puting a sponge in the filter box can also help solve the problem.

It's not a big health problem for the tank but bubbles can increase cleaning chores to pick up the salt splash.

Upvote 1

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting too much into the media basket will also cause microbubbles to travel through the section easier. I also wouldnt be too concerned unless you see bubbles getting trapped under monticaps or acros or something

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally biocube shouldnt have too many microbubbles, probably just slowing the return pump down some will help a bit as would using the sponge in the final section to reduce the amount of microbubbles entering the chamber. Water level in the tank will also impact bubble production too.
I never pulled the pump out before, had no idea it could be slowed down. Not sure I understand what you’re meaning about the sponge. I have a filter floss at the top of my InTank media basket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of the microbubbles? Generally air going though impellers tends to spawn bubbles. When the bubbles pop that can be a source of salt creep and splash onto lights and other equipment. Lowering powerheads to remove surface cavitation and puting a sponge in the filter box can also help solve the problem.

It's not a big health problem for the tank but bubbles can increase cleaning chores to pick up the salt splash.
I have the 2 nero powerheads on random flow ranging from 25% to 35%. Which seems pretty low to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting too much into the media basket will also cause microbubbles to travel through the section easier. I also wouldnt be too concerned unless you see bubbles getting trapped under monticaps or acros or something
I have the filter floss at the top, matrix biomed in the middle and the chemi pure elite at the bottom of the InTank basket. I don’t have anything in the InTank refugium yet.

Upvote 0

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I just started getting tons of micro bubbles as well. I have only done a few things since it started last night.

1 I changed the return pump to agitate the surface a little more.
2 I replaced charcoal cubes in my filter box with chemipure elite and purgin 100. They are packed in firm, but so was the original 1/2” cubes.

I doubt the later has caused mine, so angling the return pump away from the surface seems like my solution. My only thing is I was told to agitate the surface to make sure the fish (only 4) in my AquaTop Recife 40g had plenty of oxygen. I do run a stock skimmer. Does that create enough by itself? I prefer a smooth surface anyway.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started getting tons of micro bubbles as well. I have only done a few things since it started last night.

1 I changed the return pump to agitate the surface a little more.
2 I replaced charcoal cubes in my filter box with chemipure elite and purgin 100. They are packed in firm, but so was the original 1/2” cubes.

I doubt the later has caused mine, so angling the return pump away from the surface seems like my solution. My only thing is I was told to agitate the surface to make sure the fish (only 4) in my AquaTop Recife 40g had plenty of oxygen. I do run a stock skimmer. Does that create enough by itself? I prefer a smooth surface anyway.
Most tanks with reasonable circulation don't suffer from low O2. If the O2 does get low, the fish will move to the surface of the tank and gulp in water from the surface to try and get enough O2. Again, low O2 can happen but it is rare in established tanks. If you see the fish surface breathing you know you have a problem.

Upvote 0

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tanks with reasonable circulation don't suffer from low O2. If the O2 does get low, the fish will move to the surface of the tank and gulp in water from the surface to try and get enough O2. Again, low O2 can happen but it is rare in established tanks. If you see the fish surface breathing you know you have a problem.
Thanks, I’ll push the return head back down and see what happens with the bubble.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back