Should I pull up the carpet from under the tank?

Should I Pull up the Carpet from Under the Tank?

• Total voters

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just going to cut the carpet under the stand and have the legs/feet sit right on the concrete floor. The carpet around the stand I’m not too worried about. If it gets gross in the future, then I’ll pull it out and address it.
Well, thats better than putting it on the carpet. At least when you change out the carpet, you won’t have to move the tank. The only downside to that option is when you decide to put down a hard surface, you will be butting up the new tile or hard surface to the edge of the stand and covering up some of the molding about 1/2 inch. If you have levelers on your stand, you might consider raising them up to compensate for this and with the carpet you have now, you will not notice.

DaveWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have placed a water proof floor in the whole room, overflows and drips happen all the time. I have a 130 gallon tank and that was the first thing I did while I waited for the tank to arrive.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when you cut it out that you put down tack strip around the cut out area or the carpet will likely end up wrinkled with no way to stretch it flat again.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have placed a water proof floor in the whole room, overflows and drips happen all the time. I have a 130 gallon tank and that was the first thing I did while I waited for the tank to arrive.
I just don’t have that option. Wife would not approve it.

Make sure when you cut it out that you put down tack strip around the cut out area or the carpet will likely end up wrinkled with no way to stretch it flat again.
This is a good point.. my goal was to cut it so it sticks under the frame of the stand about an inch (except for the feet of the stand) and the frame is pretty low, about 1/2” off the carpet, so I was hoping it would tuck under and hide any frays or wrinkles in the carpet.

If I put tack down, I’m worried that if I ever replace the carpet, it will be almost impossible with the tack under the perimeter of the frame.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t have that option. Wife would not approve it.

This is a good point.. my goal was to cut it so it sticks under the frame of the stand about an inch (except for the feet of the stand) and the frame is pretty low, about 1/2” off the carpet, so I was hoping it would tuck under and hide any frays or wrinkles in the carpet.

If I put tack down, I’m worried that if I ever replace the carpet, it will be almost impossible with the tack under the perimeter of the frame.
You could put the tack strip about 3/8" - 1/2" away from the frame and cut the carpet long enough to tuck under. Just don't step there with bare feet!

Double sided tape might work as an alternative.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The internet won. Carpet it up.

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 32

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back