Should I quit my job?

Should I quit my job so I can be here full time?

• You are on here all the time anyway, why quit now?

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Yes, Retirement is beautiful

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No, Keep working until you are 72

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I have had a reef tank in my garage since we moved back to southern California in 2007. I've had tanks much of my life but I've never wanted to automate them as I prefer to tinker. I'm thinking about changing and getting a reef controller or just hiring a service to come take care of the system. 150 gallons of water in two tanks and a sump. I get free ocean water at Scripps in La Jolla. I come here to work and learn and see what other folks are doing with artificial ocean keeping. More progress has been made in keeping reefs by folks tinkering in aquariums than by all the marine scientist messing around underwater trying to measure the rate of reef extinctions by CO2. Not that science is invalid, its more like a rusty old machine that requires money to tell a fortune than a reporter of facts, but I digress a bit.
I started my job with the state almost 30 years ago, a biologist and now an "Environmental Scientist." I was supposed to start April 1st but since that was a Friday my start date (regrettably) became April 4. I joined here awhile ago but I figured I would check this place out and see if I wanted to stay before I introduced myself. I hope to get a build thread badge but first I have to finish scraping the algae off the acrylic. I've been in restoration mode for about 2 years following an aefw & pink turf algae battle caused by random additions of things that were supposed to be clean. So my coming out day is today, April 1 2021. I am thinking about quiting my job soon, 4/3/21 is just around the corner. Should I quit?

Kris

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Kris! You look familiar. As far as retirement, if I wasn't busy making money, I'd be busy spending it. Can't sit still. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

OP
OP
KrisReef

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the channel. you are definitely not new.
Thanks. I’ll have the mods moved me into the “used equipment” section. :)
Keep working and send me 60% of your paycheck lol
Hi @fishface NJ - I’m guessing You work for for the Government too? IRS? Thanks for the new lower rates for a fellow Reefer. Appreciated!
Its 100% a finance decision and it might be good to reach out to a financial advisor to see if you can afford it. Anyways I voted yes because this work week was hell and life should be lived to the fullest.
Well said but I’m working at home now and my wife wants me out of the house again? :)
Welcome to the forums! Maybe see if they would let you go part-time … still have an income but have time to do what you want/like!
I’m working full time at the moment. :rolleyes:
Welcome Kris! We're glad you're here!
Thanks, that means a lot coming from PR!
Why do u smell April fools
M
We had no rain in March and I’m waiting for an April shower.
Welcome to REEF2REEF Kris. I feel like we’ve met...
Yea Buddy. Still envious of your LFS access where you are.
Welcome to reef2reef! ;Pompus Looks at the date....:cool:
Date? PM on the down low.o_O
Welcome Kris! You look familiar. As far as retirement, if I wasn't busy making money, I'd be busy spending it. Can't sit still. If you can afford it, I say go for it.
Thanks. I’m leaning outdoors for certain. I have 3 kids that hope I’ll keep working so they don’t ever have too. Always difficult trying to balance these parameters.
Welcome!!!
Thank you.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1617304608004.gif

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kris I think a pic of your 13yr reef here is needed

on the job...depends if you have enough money for coral if you quit. If not then the decision is easy. The kids can make money on their own but coral cannot buy themselves . Pls remember your priorities.

See you on the boards!

Back