Should I separate my clownfish?

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got two young Ocellarus clowns, both very small but one significantly bigger, and they're still in QT at the moment (I've been doing tank transfer). They'll be ready for the 32 gallon display tank by May 2 at the soonest since they haven't shown any symptoms of anything so far and are eating eagerly.

But the one issue is that the larger one is always following around the smaller one and nipping its fins, to the point now that it's back fins have quite a few notches in them, not life threatening at this point, but definitely noticeable and worsening. I know clownfish do this when pairing sometimes but I'm not sure to what extent, or if it means they are pairing successfully or rather rejecting each other. The smaller one is always trying to swim away from the big one.

So I'm wondering two things:

1. Would it be helpful to move the small one into the display first to give him longer to get settled in before the bully shows up? Or would that interrupt their pairing process in any way with them being apart?

2. Is there anything I can do medication wise to aid in the healing of the little one's fins? Or to otherwise lower aggression and get them more accepting of each other?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got two young Ocellarus clowns, both very small but one significantly bigger, and they're still in QT at the moment (I've been doing tank transfer). They'll be ready for the 32 gallon display tank by May 2 at the soonest since they haven't shown any symptoms of anything so far and are eating eagerly.

But the one issue is that the larger one is always following around the smaller one and nipping its fins, to the point now that it's back fins have quite a few notches in them, not life threatening at this point, but definitely noticeable and worsening. I know clownfish do this when pairing sometimes but I'm not sure to what extent, or if it means they are pairing successfully or rather rejecting each other. The smaller one is always trying to swim away from the big one.

1. Would it be helpful to move the small one into the display first to give him longer to get settled in before the bully shows up? Or would that interrupt their pairing process in any way with them being apart?

2. Is there anything I can do medication wise to aid in the healing of the little one's fins? Or to otherwise lower aggression and get them more accepting of each other?
Placing the aggressor in an acclimation box for the first 2 weeks in display could help. It will still let them interact and give the smaller time to heal.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the smaller one in time out. This would quicken his capitulation. If you put the larger one in timeout, it would encourage the smaller one to continue to fight on.
Basically if you want them to pair, give all the advantage to the one that has the upper hand already.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing the aggressor in an acclimation box for the first 2 weeks in display could help. It will still let them interact and give the smaller time to heal.
I would put the smaller one in time out. This would quicken his capitulation. If you put the larger one in timeout, it would encourage the smaller one to continue to fight on.
Basically if you want them to pair, give all the advantage to the one that has the upper hand already.
Well two conflicting answers haha, but you guys agree that an acclimation box is the way to go. I think I agree it'd be better to have the aggressor in the display rather than the little one because the aggressor is interested in the little one and should still hang around the box so they'll stay together. Although it'd be interesting to see what they'd do if the positions were reversed, I feel like the little one would probably avoid the aggressor in the box more than anything.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using Api stress coat help in healing the damaged fins? The label suggests it does that, but it doesn't say if it's saltwater compatible.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls post a video as that’s the best way to show the issue.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well two conflicting answers haha, but you guys agree that an acclimation box is the way to go. I think I agree it'd be better to have the aggressor in the display rather than the little one because the aggressor is interested in the little one and should still hang around the box so they'll stay together. Although it'd be interesting to see what they'd do if the positions were reversed, I feel like the little one would probably avoid the aggressor in the box more than anything.
I've seen that's it better to place the aggressor in time out. This is to allow maximum safety and comfort for the injured fish. Along with not allowing the dominant one to become too territorial.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that's it better to place the aggressor in time out. This is to allow maximum safety and comfort for the injured fish. Along with not allowing the dominant one to become too territorial.
Having two aggressive fishes (different species) in an aquarium and try to defuse them and have them live together is an entirely different situation than trying to form a pair of any fish species where one needs to be dominant over the other fish in order to form a pair.
In this situation, it is always better to give the advantage to the dominant one so the other would stop fighting. Doing otherwise will just continue to encourage fighting. That is why we try to get to fish of largest size diffendal, so the smaller one give up before it get beat up badly.
I would hate to see @Jekyl try to pair Maroon Clowns.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having two aggressive fishes (different species) in an aquarium and try to defuse them and have them live together is an entirely different situation than trying to form a pair of any fish species where one needs to be dominant over the other fish in order to form a pair.
In this situation, it is always better to give the advantage to the dominant one so the other would stop fighting. Doing otherwise will just continue to encourage fighting. That is why we try to get to fish of largest size diffendal, so the smaller one give up before it get beat up badly.
Wasn't trying to have a ticking contest. Just passing along what I've heard.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my situation the smaller one isn't fighting at all, it's just constantly trying to get away from the bigger one which is doing ALL the aggression and always chasing it and attacking it. I would love it if there was a way to pair them without so much violence. Although they have been cooped up in a 5 gallon QT for the last 2 weeks, so some more space might help. For now I set up a plastic divider in the tank so they can still see each other without attacking. Now the big one just attacks the plastic in frustration it its inability to do violence.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you fish mixed species clown fish? I breed clownfish. Sometime I have these mixed up multi species mixed fish that I have problem pairing. It is like they cannot communicate with each other. The small ones need to give specific signals that the larger one recognized as submission before she stop attacking. It is very likely that the smaller one does not speak the same genetic language as the larger one. Or else you may have cross species with one of these more aggressive species.
Good luck with them. Separate them where they can see but not able to attach each other is always helpful.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you fish mixed species clown fish? I breed clownfish. Sometime I have these mixed up multi species mixed fish that I have problem pairing. It is like they cannot communicate with each other. The small ones need to give specific signals that the larger one recognized as submission before she stop attacking. It is very likely that the smaller one does not speak the same genetic language as the larger one. Or else you may have cross species with one of these more aggressive species.
Good luck with them. Separate them where they can see but not able to attach each other is always helpful.
No they're both ocellaris, got them from the same tank on the same day. Captive bred if that makes any difference. How long does this aggressive stage usually last? And how can you tell the difference between normal pairing behaviour and rejection behaviour?

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I'd like to add the aggressor to the display tank, but I'd like to keep the injured one in the QT a few extras days just for observation, make sure he's on the road to recovery.
But would being completely separated for a few days be harmful to their overall pairing process? I don't want to make the aggression worse once they are back together.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like bonding behaviors, keep an eye on them

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back