Should I set up a refugium?

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have been having problems for a while now with gha and diatoms and cotton candy algae in my 800litre mixed reef. I am currently using RowaPhos and NoPox and nitrates and phosphates are reading zero. I am confused tbh whether or not I have too many/ too little nutrients.

I was thinking of setting up a refugium about 10% of my DT's volume to try and outcompete this algae.(Currently using triton other methods.)

Any input would be appreciated.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running for?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and welcome to the club!
giphy.gif

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting no N03 and P04, setting up a refugium to grow macro algae probably won't work.

I would discontinue the Rowaphos and NoPox to get some nutrients up in your system.

Did you microscope ID the diatoms?

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting no N03 and P04, setting up a refugium to grow macro algae probably won't work.

I would discontinue the Rowaphos and NoPox to get some nutrients up in your system.

Did you microscope ID the diatoms?

I did not microscope the diatoms just gave my best guess by their appearance. What u said makes sense about the refugium tho so I might just stick to my current methods and try to tune my Nopox dose a bit better as I feel I may have unbalanced nitrate and phosphate levels.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way guys was wondering if anyone would like to see the progression of my tank in a thread as my situation is quite unusual. I bought the house I'm in now about a year ago and included was a 800 litre reef tank, fish and corals included. I had zero experience keeping aquariums as well so as u can imagine the learning curve for me has been quite crazy.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not microscope the diatoms just gave my best guess by their appearance. What u said makes sense about the refugium tho so I might just stick to my current methods and try to tune my Nopox dose a bit better as I feel I may have unbalanced nitrate and phosphate levels.

Could be dinoflagellates. Got a picture?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way guys was wondering if anyone would like to see the progression of my tank in a thread as my situation is quite unusual. I bought the house I'm in now about a year ago and included was a 800 litre reef tank, fish and corals included. I had zero experience keeping aquariums as well so as u can imagine the learning curve for me has been quite crazy.
Yes do a build thread.
Any pics and..

giphy (1).gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have been having problems for a while now with gha and diatoms and cotton candy algae in my 800litre mixed reef. I am currently using RowaPhos and NoPox and nitrates and phosphates are reading zero. I am confused tbh whether or not I have too many/ too little nutrients.

I was thinking of setting up a refugium about 10% of my DT's volume to try and outcompete this algae.(Currently using triton other methods.)

Any input would be appreciated.
Welcome Dublin reefer,
Awesome that you jumped right into it.
Refugiums lower nutrients and help raise ph by consuming co2 during photosynthesis.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Dublin reefer,
Awesome that you jumped right into it.
Refugiums lower nutrients and help raise ph by consuming co2 during photosynthesis.

Hi thx for the welcome. Yeh certainly seems to be more benefits to refugiums than just nutrient control. Might just buy a cheap enough light and small enough amount of chaeto to start with, just to see if it will grow in my tanks current environment.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thx for the welcome. Yeh certainly seems to be more benefits to refugiums than just nutrient control. Might just buy a cheap enough light and small enough amount of chaeto to start with, just to see if it will grow in my tanks current environment.
Ime you can't have too much par in the fuge, except for spillover

This has served me well and is the right price.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime you can't have too much par in the fuge, except for spillover

This has served me well and is the right price.

Certainly looks like a good light but the shipping is 30 euro to Ireland. I have been looking at this waterproof light, think I might go for this one. Reviews are good also.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back