Show me your active but not aggressive fish!

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some bad luck with aggressive fish. I love active fish like chromis and anthias, but they have been real ******s! Sniping each other bullying tank mates. If you have an active but not aggressive fish I’d like to see them, or hear about it. :D

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse are nice to have and active but if you add something similar looking after they are in the tank they go crazy

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is Super Chill, the tangs go after him on occasion and he easily outmaneuvers them and goes about his business as if nothing happened.
20210501_140148.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strive to keep a peaceful tank and select accordingly. Hard with a nano (37 gallons). Some fish are peaceful in large tank that aren't in small. Plus peaceful might mean fantastic with fish and corals - but love to munch on shrimp (Hawkfish).

My personal experiences:

My chromis is a good tank mate..could be the other fish. I only ever had one so no schooling behavior.

I kept my tank to one clown. I do not buy the "they get lonely", or "they're happier in pairs"...I think people anthropormophize clowns a bit too much. When they pair up is when you have aggressive mating/breeding behaviors. Mine is a model citizen, has a territory but limited to the anemone only and really doesn't defend that aggressively at all. He's very active, eats well, gets along with others...no signs of being "lonely" - doesn't pine away in the corner writing bad poetry and drinking too much. I also selected an Oscellaris and not a heavily bred variant that tend to more aggressive.

Yellow Watchman goby with tiger shrimp was excellent (recently died) for activity. However, the tiger shrimp had a tendency to use live snails to decorate their den...he didn't kill them outright, but stuck them securely so they couldn't get out. I would go with smaller pistol next time. Goby defended burrow, but never to point of nipping.

Tailspot blenny is just adorable - lots of movement extremely peaceful. Firefish as well but less movement.

Bangaii Cardinalfish are supposed to be semi- aggressive - never saw it. Just hid in back (both ones I've had did that) so not too active for me.

Also had a pink streaked wrasse (hard to find lately as I want another). Again, peaceful with lots of activity always hunting for morsels.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This red fin fairy wrasse I have is flasher type I believe and he's awesome darting around the tank displaying his cool spiked fins all the time.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experience with anthias is not mine. But, I don't have chromis with them. My anthias (3 Dispar) are model citizens and very active albeit you need to have a regular feeding schedule (at least twice per day) to keep them satiated and healthy. They are among the best and most beautiful group of fish in the tank. They live with a diverse group including: Yellow Belly Blue Tang, Marginalis Butterfly, Regal Angel, Blue Throat Trigger, bonded pair of Red Hawkfish, bonded pair of Snowflake Clownfish, 2 black mollies, 2 striped dartfish, and a blenny. During the day they are generally all out and about except for the dartfish (which tend to hide until feeding) and the Hawkfish which perch and wait.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a Sohal Tang I added with Foxface, Orange Shoulder, and Sailfin Tangs. Added him after the others were well established and got him a smaller than the others. Behaves very well!

2F7E54D9-0C23-4627-9518-B66F9AE65482.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scissor Tail Gobies. I had 5 that, once comfortable in the tank and around me, swam together in open water.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all the great suggestions! From the consensus it sounds like a few wrasse may be the ticket!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all the great suggestions! From the consensus it sounds like a few wrasse may be the ticket!
I have lots of fish in my 300G---love some, neutral about some, and hate some. In the love category are my three yellow coris wrasses. They are very peaceful with each other and other tank mates. Very active and add great color to the tank. Very functional as they will eat many pests (I'll never have a flatworm problem). Fun to watch them hunt solo, in a group, and tagging along behind any sand sifters. Only problem: mine will murder any small nassarius snail that pops up. You also definitely need sand for them to burrow at night.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back