Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vortechs just wanted more surface skimming. I can get a Jebao DCT15000 for 50 bucks from the manufacturer, so was thinking about upgrading.
It's got a controller so you should be able to use it but turned down to closer to the recommended flow. You could start there and ramp up one notch at a time making sure the return handles the extra volume.

With more flow comes a little more risk. Make sure you are just relying on the main (regulated) drain and not the emergency drain, so if the main gets blocked you won't have a flood. Might be a bit noisier as well.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine depot started carrying these if anyone is interested. Free Shipping as well!
b1101c963ed0226f9f7d5cf211a24128.jpg
If you want them in different colors you can get them directly from the manufacturer. I like mine, works just fine. So much easier to change the floss and toss it, especially since I have to shuffle stuff around to remove the drawers.
http://the-mold-shop.com/en/#filter-media-cup

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vortechs just wanted more surface skimming. I can get a Jebao DCT15000 for 50 bucks from the manufacturer, so was thinking about upgrading.

I was running a Sicce Syncra 5.0 on my 425, turned all the way up which is 1321gph. For almost 2 months I have been running a Neptune COR-20 which goes up to 2000, but I am currently running at about 76%. You should be able to use the Jebao turned down, but still above the 800 recommended.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3months in and had my first issue.

I came home to a return sucking air (I hadn't set up the low level float switch which I will soon). The rodi reservoir had water so I assumed a clogged line. Pulled it off the tank and it flowed pulled it off the float and it flowed so it had to be at the float. After pulling it out of the sump it wouldn't pass water in the down position. After a soaking and blowing out the tube it's working again.

So, keep an eye on those floats!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3months in and had my first issue.

I came home to a return sucking air (I hadn't set up the low level float switch which I will soon). The rodi reservoir had water so I assumed a clogged line. Pulled it off the tank and it flowed pulled it off the float and it flowed so it had to be at the float. After pulling it out of the sump it wouldn't pass water in the down position. After a soaking and blowing out the tube it's working again.

So, keep an eye on those floats!

I've heard this from almost every reefer owner who uses the ATO. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I'm using a Neptune ATK, so hopefully the pressure of the PMUP will keep the line clear!

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a silly question - but on the topic of the float in the return chamber... how high should the water level be? We've just set up our new reefer, and the instructions say fill the return chamber with approx 6 inches water, but that's no where near as high as the float. Then it says set the drop on the ATO to 1 drop per second. We actually filled ours up to the float so now as soon as there's any evaporation the ATO kicks in, and stops when the float is at the top again. Is this wrong? Should the level only be 6 inches and the ATO dripping all the time with the float only really being there as a fail safe? I guess this would stop a clogged up float?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a silly question - but on the topic of the float in the return chamber... how high should the water level be? We've just set up our new reefer, and the instructions say fill the return chamber with approx 6 inches water, but that's no where near as high as the float. Then it says set the drop on the ATO to 1 drop per second. We actually filled ours up to the float so now as soon as there's any evaporation the ATO kicks in, and stops when the float is at the top again. Is this wrong? Should the level only be 6 inches and the ATO dripping all the time with the float only really being there as a fail safe? I guess this would stop a clogged up float?
Loosen the nut on the float and it is adjustable, so you can raise or lower the water level.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you mean the nut that fixes the tube to the float? Or a different nut?
Its at the bend of the actual float, it will let you rotate the float up or down. You may need to remove it from the bracket, with the nut you mention, to get to it easily.
Not the same float but it gives you the idea
28d30976bf7af7507a18c0bfbdd81ac9.jpg

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its at the bend of the actual float, it will let you rotate the float up or down. You may need to remove it from the bracket, with the nut you mention, to get to it easily.
Not the same float but it gives you the idea
28d30976bf7af7507a18c0bfbdd81ac9.jpg

Ok thanks. So are you saying we need to adjust the float so it works with the water at 6inches? I.e. Should the float pretty much always be touching the water when the level is 6 inches?

Our water height is currently about 8-9 inches in that chamber with the float working at this level.

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you Reefer owners here, is there anything preventing setting up a 525 XL with a basement sump? I'm working on my basement sump room now and would like to hook up the tank upstairs. Will a Reefer work in this configuration?

I'm in the process of setting up a reefer 750 xxl with a basement sump. Really no difference other than your return pump and the need to convert the supplied plumbing.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. So are you saying we need to adjust the float so it works with the water at 6inches? I.e. Should the float pretty much always be touching the water when the level is 6 inches?

Our water height is currently about 8-9 inches in that chamber with the float working at this level.
You dont have to lower it. You just need to make sure the pump has enough water to avoid sucking air or creating a vortex when the water is at its low level, but a few inches higher shouldn't make a difference that I can think of. To check use a container to remove enough water to see the float start dripping, if your pump is still submerged and no air is going in, then it is fine

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have my current Neptune ATK set to keep it about 7 inches. It really doesn't matter, as long as the water level is a bit below the baffle (bubble trap) you should be good. Just do a test that when your return pump is off, you don't flood your sump (though that is VERY unlikely, the sump has a ton of vertical space that isn't used).

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my current Neptune ATK set to keep it about 7 inches. It really doesn't matter, as long as the water level is a bit below the baffle (bubble trap) you should be good. Just do a test that when your return pump is off, you don't flood your sump (though that is VERY unlikely, the sump has a ton of vertical space that isn't used).

Thanks. Yes done a power off and plenty of room in the sump.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an issue with my Reef Octopus skimmer and decided I would try a Nyos 160 while I wait on the part I broke. Have to say I am not overly impressed with it. Piece on the bubble plate came in the box detached and had to be glued in. I have seen this is a common problem that should not occur on a $500 skimmer. Everything says it is an 18w pump, my RO was 27w, yet my 2016 Apex says this is running at 57w. Far from "efficient" like they say. It is really quiet so there is that. I guess I will see how it skims over the next few days before I decide if I am keeping it or getting rid of it.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an issue with my Reef Octopus skimmer and decided I would try a Nyos 160 while I wait on the part I broke. Have to say I am not overly impressed with it. Piece on the bubble plate came in the box detached and had to be glued in. I have seen this is a common problem that should not occur on a $500 skimmer. Everything says it is an 18w pump, my RO was 27w, yet my 2016 Apex says this is running at 57w. Far from "efficient" like they say. It is really quiet so there is that. I guess I will see how it skims over the next few days before I decide if I am keeping it or getting rid of it.

I’m definitely interested in how it works out. I’m running a Simplicity 120, and though the pump is quiet with no air, once I allow air into the skimmer it is extremely loud, despite the air silencer doing its job. I keep hearing how quiet the NYOS are and might just go that direction...

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely interested in how it works out. I’m running a Simplicity 120, and though the pump is quiet with no air, once I allow air into the skimmer it is extremely loud, despite the air silencer doing its job. I keep hearing how quiet the NYOS are and might just go that direction...

Just spoke to Ecotech and they are going to do some research about why the pump is showing 54w when it is an 18w pump. They are going to send me replacement part for the other part too. I haven't yet hooked up my outside airline and scrubber to the skimmer yet, maybe tomorrow. Wanted to get an idea of how it does without it first. I will say it has been completely silent so far except a little rattle from the collection cup lid at one point.

If anyone else is running a Nyos 160 and a 2016 Apex, I would appreciate if you can tell me what the power consumption is showing for the outlet on the EB832.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FLG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the new @Vivid Creative Aquatics sponsor on R2R and saw their neat random flow adapter:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/12in-rfg-nozzle-with-red-sea-reefer-adapter/

I have a gyre pump going in my RSR170 already, but couldn't hurt to give the return a little more randomness? Fairly inexpensive and looks good to just pop on.

Anyone tried one before?

I just received mine in the mail and installed on my Reefer 250. Fits great. Well made product. So far so good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%

Back