jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it work? I thought those were just for 425 and below? Is the ring size the same on all of the RS sock holders? If it is, I'm ordering today.

Duh, I must be working too much. Now I remember seeing these in this thread but I forgot to order them.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just order the media cups from marine depot. Fits all Red Sea sock holders.
Problem is I'm out of town for work today, home later today / tonight, then back out again for at least five or six days. I need a solution quick. Admittedly my fault. I should have ordered them when I saw the post a few days ago.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just filled my 425xl last Friday.

Radion XR30 gen3 pro, will added a second from the other tank when I’m ready to move everything over. Using the ecotech multi light support.

Simplicity 240 skimmer,
Vortech Mp40,
Vectra M1 return pump
2 quarts marinepure spheres that I had seeding in my other tank’s sump. (I put these in a large media bag and placed in the section before the filter socks).
80 lbs caribsea live reef sand.
Cobalt 300w neotherm heater.
Finnex 810m controller as a safety check for the heater.

Pukani rock from my LFS and 40 pounds of Caribsea life rock. Not sure if I should mix it up more but the life rock stacked better and the pukani were large pieces that didn’t want to stack well with the life rock.

Using seachem stability to cycle the tank.

Only issue so far was with the finnex controller. I have the cobalt heater set for 78 and plugged into the controller which was set for 82 degrees. The logic was if the heater failed and stuck in the on position, then the controller would shut the power to it. I was seeing the controller shutting off the power after several hours even though its temperature readout said 78.
Finnex support said it could be a temperature accuracy issue, but I don’t understand unless the reading for its temperature display is a different source than what is used to control the outlet . They are going to replace it but for now I have the heater directly plugged into a regular outlet. At least I have the alarm on the controller if the temperature ever goes out of bounds.

I also talked to Cobalt even though I didn’t think there was any issue with the heater but I did see the led display start fast blinking even though the power outlet indicator was off on the Finnex . Cobalt mentioned it was probably a triac outlet on the controller which doesn’t shut off the power completely but can trickle power for awhile . He said this can cause issues in low power circuits in their thermostat if the controller keeps switching on and off too quickly and why they tell people to only use certain the non-triac outlets on a Apex .

Anyways, just wanted to share that info on the heater controller incompatibility

A4EE2693-E2BC-49DE-8AD9-F76DBEC9E847.jpeg
Cheap usb powered led tape to light up the sump area
68A88B0C-66D2-428D-ADBA-5D97B140ACE6.jpeg

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using two 25 gallon holding tanks running to a float switch in my sump. I only have to fill them once a month on my 750xxl.

1F960FEF-1570-4E19-858C-387263F55677.jpeg

2 questions. What are you using to pump it up to the float in the tank? And are you using the stock float switch, possibly just modified?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions. What are you using to pump it up to the float in the tank? And are you using the stock float switch, possibly just modified?

The tanks are raised higher than the sump allowing it to be gravity fed. The stock float valve is a piece of junk. I replaced it with an adjustable float valve from brs.

Between my last tank and this one it's been running problem free for 8 months. It is way more reliable than any tunze 3155 or ato's using sensors or electrical float switches.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/adjustable-ro-float-valve.html

20180113_170215.jpg

41JjESVhiIL._SY400_.jpg

Last edited:

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are raised higher than the sump allowing it to be gravity fed. The stock float valve is a piece of junk. I replaced it with an adjustable float valve from brs.

Between my last tank and this one it's been running problem free for 8 months. It is way more reliable than any tunze 3155 or ato's using sensors or electrical float switches.

20180113_170215.jpg

41JjESVhiIL._SY400_.jpg
I'm curious as to how you pull this off with a gravity feed. Are your water holding tanks above level of the tank? I am trying to come up with a way to stream line top off in my 525XL. Bringing up 10 gallons of top off water every4-5 days is a pain (a small one but still a pain). Currently I have my holding tubs in my basement, and other than a pump setup to the main floor of my house, I can't think of a way to get top off water to the tank besides manually bringing it upstairs.

I use two of those float valves in my top off containers in the basement, but that's a good idea for the return chamber, if I can figure out a way to get the water from the basement to the tank.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are in a closet next to my aquarium. I circled where I have the line running thru a 1/4 bulkhead fitting. That then runs along my baseboard to my sumps float valve. With one valve open it tops off with 15 gallons and then I can open the other valve and top off the with the other 15 gallons. I'm lazy though so I usually just leave both valves open and let it top off with 30 gallons.

Looks like you ou are going to have to use a pump with your holding tanks in the basement. I would just add electric float switches in your sump so it can turn off and on by itself for topoff.

20180223_060652.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180113_170215.jpg

41JjESVhiIL._SY400_.jpg
So that float valve is the only thing keeping all that water from dumping into your system?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back